Just as customers have pain points we as marketers need to address, we ourselves have to deal with our own social marketing pain points. Like any physical pain, pretending it’s not there, ignoring it, or putting off getting it seen about is highly likely to only make the situation worse.
Conversely, getting a good check-up and taking an honest, realistic inventory of what’s causing you to function at less than 100% is a pretty effective investment of time. If you’re not keeping pace with the competition, or if your social efforts are stuck in neutral, it’s high time to pinpoint specifically what the issues are that are preventing your growth and social marketing maturation.
So welcome to the Social Spotlight clinic, where we want to find out, “where does it hurt?” Below is a rather lengthy list of possible social marketing pain points you might be experiencing. Is it a complete list? Probably not. If your main stumbling block isn’t listed below, by all means let us know what it is in the comment section.
Otherwise we ask that you help out your fellow social marketers by participating in our “Great Social Pain Point Poll.” Below are your choices, so you can think and study in advance, but we ask that you go to the poll on our Oracle Social Facebook page and select three of the options. In the end, with your help and input, we’ll know what surfaces as the most common, pressing issues holding back the socially enabled enterprise.
Ready? Open up and say “ah.”
Social Marketing Pain Points:
- Establishing the goals you want social to achieve
- Getting social properties to drive traffic to owned properties like your site.
- Getting your fans/followers to engage with your content
- Getting fans/followers to give you referrals
- Tying your social properties to your enterprise CRM software system.
- Figuring out what content to put on your social channels
- Figuring out who can and will create the content for your social channels
- Resourcing for the manpower required to manage all your social channels
- Figuring out where to find great social channel managers
- Resourcing for/finding outsourced entities for content creation
- Figuring out what metrics/KPI’s you need to watch that relate to business objectives.
- Routing the feedback you get on social to product managers/developers
- Streamlining your social channel management on one dashboard
- Getting the C-suite to fully understand and embrace social and its benefits
- Getting employees to participate on social on behalf of the brand
- Legal issues surrounding social and content creation
- Wanting to stop/prevent people from slamming your brand on social
- Learning who your fans/followers are and what they want
- Effectively and efficiently targeting your desired audience
- Making sure your social is optimized and effective on mobile
- Figuring out how to execute sales within the Facebook environment
- Teaching sales reps to effectively use social for sales/relationship building
- Finding people who can blog for the brand consistently
- Figuring out the efficient management of hundreds of social streams
- Figuring out who should and shouldn’t be allowed to represent your brand on social
- Figuring out the approval process for content/posts/tweets
- Creation of brand-wide social media standards & practices
- Successfully utilizing social for PR and influence marketing
- Successfully utilizing social for internal communication and collaboration
- Figuring out how to market your social properties and let people know they exist
- Learning and using the SEO advantages of social channels
- Getting videos made to populate a brand YouTube channel
- Setting up workflow so social can be effectively used for customer service
- Maintaining a consistent voice and personality across social channels
- Maintaining brand messaging across social channels
- Deciding what to give fans/followers of value in return for their liking/following you (discounts, insider deals or info, etc.)
- Figuring out how to demonstrate ROI
- Gathering and managing the big data that comes in continuously from social
- Listening to all the people talking about your brand out there on social
Remember, go to the poll on the Oracle Social Facebook page and pick your top 3. Then we’ll all know which pain is hurting the most and is in dire need of attention.