SOA Governance FAQ by Luis Weir
By Juergenkress-Oracle on Apr 09, 2014
After more than decade implementing SOA, I’ve come to the conclusion that one of the reasons that prevent organisations from realising the benefits of SOA is the lack of some sort of governance in their SOA implementations. I have also come to the sad conclusion that even though this is well known fact, many (end customers and SIs alike) still lack understanding of what SOA Governance is and why is it needed. Having said that, I created this post not only for my own reference, but also share this knowledge for those wishing to improve their understanding on this amazing topic.
Hopefully this FAQ provides some concise answers to many of these questions.
- What is SOA Governance?
- What SOA Governance isn’t?
- Why is SOA Governance needed?
- What are the objectives of SOA Governance?
- What are the key components of SOA Governance?
- What are the top challenges that prevent successful SOA Governance implementation?
- What is the most common mistake organizations make in enforcing SOA Governance?
- What Oracle tools do I need to successfully implement SOA Governance?
- To what degree does successful SOA governance require organizational change?
impact, if any, trends such as Cloud, API development, Mobile
Computing, Big Data, and the Internet of Things( IoT) have on SOA
- Is there any practical book on how to implement SOA Governance?
What is SOA Governance?
In simplistic terms, SOA Governance is the alignment of processes,
people and tools needed to ensure that a SOA implementation is
successful. SOA Governance primary objective is to maximise the benefits
that SOA can bring to the business and IT. One thing to bear in mind is
that SOA Governance does not exist on its own; it is in fact an
extension of IT governance and EA governance. Read the complete article here.
For regular information on Oracle SOA Suite become a member in the SOA & BPM Partner Community for registration please visit www.oracle.com/goto/emea/soa (OPN account required) If you need support with your account please contact the Oracle Partner Business Center.