SOA Adoption in the Brazilian Ministry of Health – Case Study by Ricardo Puttini, University of Brasilia @ SOA, Cloud & Service Technology Symposium 2012
By Juergen Kress Oracle-Oracle on Aug 24, 2012
ORACLE PROMOTIONAL DISCOUNT FOR EXCLUSIVE ORACLE DISCOUNT, ENTER PROMO CODE: DJMXZ370 For details please visit the registration page International
SOA, Cloud + Service Technology Symposium is a yearly event that
features the top experts and authors from around the world, providing a
series of keynotes, talks, demonstrations, and panels, as well as
training and certification workshops - all dedicated to empowering IT
professionals to realize modern service technologies and practices in
the real world.
Speaker: Ricardo Puttini, University of Brasili
Prof. Ricardo Puttini holds a PhD in Communication Networks (2004) from the University of Brasília, where he teaches at the Electrical Engineering Department since 1998. During his PhD, he spent three semesters in L′Ecole Supérieure d′Életricité (Supelec, Rennes - France), when he started researching on distributed systems architecture and security, which became his main interest area. Prof. Puttini has 15 years of field experience as senior IT consultant at major government organizations in Brazil. He has taught several undergraduate and graduate level courses in service orientation, service oriented architecture and cloud computing. Prof. Puttini was the general chair of 4th International SOA + Cloud Symposium, 2011, Brasilia - Brazil. He is the co-author of the book "Cloud Computing: Concepts and technologies".
SOA Adoption in the Brazilian Ministry of Health - Case Study
In this case study we present the challenges and achievements of a major SOA adoption initiative carried out for the Brazilian Ministry of Health. Brazil has a universal healthcare system (SUS), with the federal States and Municipalities. The Ministry of Health IT Enterprise (DATASUS) is responsible for establishing nation-wide databases and information systems, and developing and maintaining 300+ information systems with national scope and usage. This SOA initiative started in 2010 as a strategic approach to redesigning the software architecture of 15 structured information systems that exist in silo-based architectures, while promoting systems interoperability together with agility and cost reduction. The business context for the SOA program was defined by via the development of the Brazilian Electronic Health Record department. The challenges encountered with this project included: the federated organization of the Brazilian health care system (resulting in a great number of issues related to governance); low maturity of SOA platforms during this period; heterogeneous platforms and technologies used in legacy systems; multiple business area with conflicting requirements and information security.
The main benefits achieved by this SOA adoption include:
- definition of a reference architecture
- definition of a reference methodology
- definition of a maturity model and roadmap
- deployment of a corporate service inventory (currently, with 20+ services)
- consolidation of the National Registry of Universal Healthcare System (+180M individuals subscribed) using SOA-based architecture
- consolidation of the National Registry of Healthcare Establishments using SOA-based architecture
- Annual cost reduction estimates resulting from this successful SOA adoption are expected to exceed 30% in 2012.
September 24, 2012 - 16:00
KEYNOTES & SPEAKERS
More than 80 international subject matter experts will be speaking at the Symposium. Below are confirmed keynotes and speakers so far. Over 50% of the agenda has not yet been finalized. Many more speakers to come. View the partial program calendars on the Conference Agenda page.
CONFERENCE THEMES & TRACKS
- Cloud Computing Architecture & Patterns
- New SOA & Service-Orientation Practices & Models
- Emerging Service Technology Innovation
- Service Modeling & Analysis Techniques
- Service Infrastructure & Virtualization
- Cloud-based Enterprise Architecture
- Business Planning for Cloud Computing Projects
- Real World Case Studies
- Semantic Web Technologies (with & without the Cloud)
- Governance Frameworks for SOA and/or Cloud Computing Projects
- Service Engineering & Service Programming Techniques
- Interactive Services & the Human Factor
- New REST & Web Services Tools & Techniques
Specialized partners have proven their skills by certifications and
customer references. To find a local Specialized partner please visit http://solutions.oracle.com
For regular information on Oracle SOA Suite become a member in the SOA & BPM Partner Community for registration please visit www.oracle.com/goto/emea/soa (OPN account required) If you need support with your account please contact the Oracle Partner Business Center.