Oracle BI Applications Upgrade - Part 1
By @lex on Sep 20, 2008
Those among you who have undertaken the quest of a Siebel CRM upgrade know what it means to upgrade one (1) repository and merge new standards with old customizations.
How does it (look and) feel to upgrade the stunning number of four (4) different repositories, such as in Oracle BI Applications where we currently have
- 1 Informatica repository
- 1 DAC repository
- 1 BI Server repository
- 1 Presentation Catalog
I had the opportunity to do a POC for a custom training and this series of posts tries to point you to the basic steps and pitfalls.The slightly customized BI Application we have to start with consists of the following
- Oracle BI EE 10.1.3.2
- Oracle BI Applications 7.9.2 including DAC
- Informatica 7.1.4
- Oracle BI EE 10.1.3.4
- Oracle BI Applications 7.9.5
- Informatica 8.1.1 SP4
- DAC 10.1.3.4
Step 2: Upgrade Oracle BI Applications
Now it's time for another backup, this time you copy the entire DAC directory to a safe place. Next you backup any custom files (scripts, parameter files etc.).
Step 3: Upgrade Informatica 7.1.4 to 8.1.1 SP4Oracle BI Applications 7.9.5 come with exclusive support for Informatica 8.1.1 SP4 which is a bit of a challenge as 8.1.1 has a completely different server architecture (see delta summary below).
Caveat: Note that the install.exe might not launch if a java-based process such as Oracle's Enterprise Manager Console is running.
Quick Delta for Informatica 7.1.4 to 8.1.1 SP 4 (Windows)
- No separate windows services for Informatica server and Informatica Repository Server
- New "wrapper" service: "Informatica Services 8.1.1"
- Server administration now done completely in a web client
- Repository service and Integration Service (formerly known as Informatica server) are administered from the central web-based administration console
- New concept of domains, which contain nodes, which host processes such as repository and integration services.
Follow the steps in the Oracle BI Applications 7.9.5 Installation Guide to set up the basic infrastructure. Import the new version of the Informatica Repository provided by the BI Apps 7.9.5 installer into the new Informatica 8.1.1 database. Copy the source and lookup files to the correct directories. Set PowerCenter properties according to the guide.