Test Automation FAQ
1. Is there an additional license cost for this test recording suite? do we have access to the scripts recorded? Can we modify the scripts generated by this recorder as it is possible in Selenium?
There is no additional license required.
…what about DISA?
This is also free.
The recorded script is editable within Siebel Test Administration.
The script can be modified to meet your needs.
2. Is there a possibility to make the recorded script parameterized so that we can pass value at run time?
3. And ability to use same recorded scripts in a load via Jenkins?
Yes - and to collect into Test Suites etc
4. Do we have grid feature to replicate UI driven performance testing?
Not built into Siebel – Jenkins does this.
5. Is it possible to schedule a script.
Jenkins can schedule this with cron
6. For Test Automation, can we use UFT with Siebel and STE in parallel for continuous integration?
UFT (OATS) can be used with Siebel, independent of the keyword framework. STE only supports the keyword framework.
7. Can recorded Usage Pattern Tracking (UPT) data be turned into Test Automation scripts? (Closed Loop Testing)?
No (not yet)
8. Is it possible to record Test Automation for functionalities that use Task Based UI (TBUI)?
TBUI steps cannot currently be recorded using UPT/Keyword Definition (KWD). This is currently being investigated for future resolution.
9. The Object Ids in Siebel UI keep on changing from environment to environment and it’s a big pain in test automation.
Test Automation works around this by not using the Object Id, instead using automation specific attributes that are sewn into the Document Object Model (DOM) when test automation is turned on.
10. How easy is it to make changes to a recorded script? What types of things can we validate or check in the tests?
Recorded Test Scripts need to be opened in Test Script view and Test Steps can be modified. It requires familiarity with Keywords and how to capture attributes (Ctrl+Mouse Right Click). Explicitly, we can validate record counts in list applets, presence of certain common objects (button, link, etc), Field Values (List/Form applet), Enabled/Disabled, comparing value with stored variable, Columns sort order/lock status, and Pop-up Error Messages. By explicitly we mean there are ‘Verify’ keywords. Much implicit verifications are possible, such as interacting with an element, querying for a record, etc.
11. What language are the tests stored in? JS or some other scripting language?
Tests are stores in the database as records. Each test step is stored as a record.
12. Does the recording save the think time between clicks? Can UTP capture response times for each step?
Think time is not stored.
13. Is there any built-in monitoring features or can we continue to use existing monitoring tools like Real User Experience Interface (RUEI) or Germain
There is nothing new from a monitoring perspective is in this release.
14. Does this test suite do performance analysis?
Test steps record the start and end time, thus permitting analysis.
15. If we use the Usage Pattern Tracking (UPT) Workflow to import the UPT files to the database, those files are deleted. If Test Automation uses those files, will they disappear?
For Test Automation you record the flow which generates UPT log files, then at the end of the recording you convert (by saving), which converts UPT to KWD. Once that is done UPT log files are no longer required. You can then import into the database for any other analysis purposes.
…So it's important to stop any repeating jobs for wfprocmgr that runs the UPT import process during test recording.
Yes, that is correct
16. Is there way to restrict the AutoOn command per user/responsibility basis?
No, not currently. If you set AutoOn and the 2 System Preferences are set then it is available for every user. We will look into how we can provide that capability.
17. I see Google Chrome needs a plug-in, does IE?
Yes it requires an IE driver, similar to the Chrome driver
…What is the plug-in for Chrome??
For Chrome it is ChromeDriver (https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/chromedriver/)
18. Can you manually add assertions (e.g. check correct field values) to the test case?
19. Can we remove the delay for the data entry steps?
No, the delay is not a static weight. It is based on the request response for each step with some padding. While recording user think time or delay is not recorded.
20. Is it possible to edit scripts?
After the Unit Run; Import the Scripts and Navigate to Sitemap > Release > Test Scripts > Query for the Script > Edit the script.
21. Is it possible to edit the order number that was in the saved recording?
Yes, once you import the script. There is a sequence number column that you can modify.
22. Is it possible to limit timestamp (dollar sign) length?
It is not possible currently to change the timestamp (dollar sign) length.
23. Is the speed of the playback the same as the speed of the actual recording or does playback wait for inputs and the system to respond before proceeding to the next step?
Speed and playback speed is not necessarily the same. It is dynamic and based on request and response received during playback. A user can record and hold for 1 minute, but when playback happens it is determined by the application being ready for the next action.
24. Is it possible to have wildcards that can be replaced by something else than a timestamp? (e.g. a digit)
Yes, for dynamic names timestamp is supported for maintaining uniqueness. We will review the requirement for a digit.
25. Can this be configured to capture the execution time for each step to measure performance of a step that’s taking longer than others?
There is timestamp logged within UPT, however it is not meant to be used for performance analysis of steps.
26. Can we use the same for load testing also? like we use UFT right now to test a load for 14000 users?
This tool is not meant for load testing. It is for functional testing and training purposes
27. Can we parameterize inputs in the test cases? For example, if I need to search for a telephone number, the test execution can read telephone numbers from a list or database.
Yes we can parameterize, but not from external sources. We can store runtime values in variables (@var1) and use them in subsequent steps.
28. Can Automated Tests be run in silent mode?
Yes using lights-out mode (silent mode)
29. Can we record in one language and playback on multiple different languages using the same script?
Our recommendation is to record and play back in the same language. Complete dynamic multi-lingual test automation is not fully supported in IP17
30. What is the importance of the Release field in the screens?
Release fields are meant to segregate test cases by release. You can seed in your releases into the tool and then segregate your test cases accordingly.
31. In the document that you mentioned there is a reference to some file called “SiebelTestAutomation.zip”, which needs to be downloaded to the client machine. Where is this file located?
In IP2016 Patch Set, the file is located in the Siebel Tools installation in a folder called <SiebelToolsRoot>\RepPatch
32. Is the actual clicking of buttons recorded so it could be used with applications such as Captivate for training purposes?
We will review this requirement.
33. Are the controls and buttons for Test Automation to record, save and generate test script available only in the Home Page, or available on all screens?
Automation buttons (Start, Stop, Pause, Save) are tool bar items and available on All Views under all Screens including the Home Page.
34. When selecting DDLB values is the script recording the actual position of the click or the value?
Picking of the actual value is not based on their position in the List of Values (LOV). Cases where there is an LIC value, it uses that value otherwise it uses the actual value.
35. Can DISA be installed during the initial login to the Siebel CRM application? similar to how ActiveX objects were instantiated in the HI framework?
No currently it is not possible. DISA is not a plugin to the browser and is a separate application. DISA has to be installed manual or via silent install.
36. How do you edit an existing Test script?
Once you have done the recording and are satisfied with Unit Playback, click the Import button that will import the script into the Siebel Test Management Suite module and you will get a popup message saying the import was successful. Then follow these steps:
37. What's the difference between OpenUI Test Automation and the Siebel CRM Test Automation Interfaces?
There are 2 different ways to automate testing for Siebel CRM: