By shanti on May 19, 2008
I know many of you may be wondering why Cool Stack 1.3 isn't out yet, so I thought I'd post an update on where we are with the release. When I first started talking about this, I was hoping to get the release out in early May. But several things have colluded to cause a delay.
- We took on a lot for this release. Although just looking at the proposal, it may seem like a simple matter to just update the versions of the various components, underneath the hood, we decided to do a lot more streamlining of the build and packaging process. Since so many version updates were involved, that also meant more legal approvals.
- We have a more formal QA process for this release (and for future releases). The good news is that this means we will have a more quality release, but the bad news is that it now takes more time as we have to go through a couple of QA cycles at least to qualify the release.
- We are going to institute a patching process for releases going forward. What this means is that we can put out patches for critical bugs and provide an upgrade path for existing installations. This should especially prove useful to users who have installed in zones. Before everyone starts jumping up with joy, I want to mention that for 1.3, you will still have to go through the pain of a fresh installation after saving your config files and re-applying them. But going forward, say for 1.3.1 or 1.4, we will provide an upgrade option, so please bear with the pain for this one release.
- And there is now talk about making Cool Stack into a more full-fledged product with proper production support. This is one of the major reasons for all of the above enhancements and the cause of the delay, but we have got so many requests for production support now, that we felt it was worth taking the time to do some ground work to make this happen.
- Just to be clear, we will continue to provide free support through the Cooltools forum as we are doing now, and we hope more of you will help us out on the forum. We know there are many experienced Cool Stack users out there - if you think Cool Stack has saved you time, we hope you will consider giving back a little of your time to the forum. We have one full-time engineer assigned to the project and a few other Sun engineers who are interested in Cool Stack's success contribute our time. We are really short-staffed, so please, please do consider sharing your knowledge and helping out other Cool Stack users.
After reading all that, I know the big question still is : When will 1.3 be released ? We have just finished incorporating almost all components and are starting QA of build2. We have a few more things to take care of but I'm hopeful that we can get this out in the first week of June.
Thanks for your patience and your support of Cool Stack. Please do keep your feedback coming and subscribe to the forum.