By Scott Fehrman on May 05, 2008
Got up early in San Francisco, stopped one of the many Starbucks on the way to Mosconne Center and registered for CommunityOne and JavaOne. Here's my notes from a full day of sessions that I attended.
- Open source is at the core of Sun's business
- Sun is about open standards, formats, and systems
- Innovation happens everywhere, not in one place
- The number of communities has tripled since last year
- Things are increasingly interconnected.
- What is community ... it's about people, people are passionate about things they do.
- Move from monolithic to modular (hardware / software) ... solutions assembled from commodity components.
- Customers demand choice, reduce lock-in to a vendor ... increases competition.
- Market place still wants solutions (not pieces) based on these compenents.
- Simplify the community and technology adoption.
- panel discussion
- opensolars release ... source code open a couple of years ago. How to involve the community. All activity is done in the open. How do people now consume the innovation. First fully supported release of opensolaris, a distribution ... new logo.
- Various Solaris demos: install, zfs, D-Light
- Demos being done on OpenSolaris, very cool
- Release v6.1
- JasperSoft, iReport ... opensource business analysis tools front-end to jasper reports, netbeans plugin, #1 download demo of the tool
- early access to PHP plugin
- GSF ... language editing infrastructure
- NB 6.5 adding PHP and Groovy, also ading other languages.
- PHP/GSF demo, today small plugin for PHP
- NetBeans ALM Integration, Intland software bring collabrative features to the developer
jMaki: The Power of Ajax Made Easy
- jMaki Framework:
- Demo, NetBeans 6.1, GlassFish v3 ... built an app with two maps and geocoder
- Miso/jMaki Demo: search and indexing services exposes RESTful web services. The demo shows ways to search mail files looking for documents, images, etc.
- Demo: Travelmuse Inc.
The NetBeans 6.1 IDE, Faster Than Ever
- Flower shop demo using RESTful web servces
- RESTful leverages EJB interfaces
- use strikeiron webservice
- Jonathan Schwartz: comments about NetBeans community. Sun listened and responded.
- soapUI testing tool ... integrated into NetBeans 6.1 focus is to make testing fast and fun. create a new testing project. realy nice integration! Pluggin creates a test suite. load test generation with this functional tests.
- Spring ramework support, selectable as an option to new Web Project
- Hibernate suport, bundle 3.2.5
- Axis2 Web Services stack, create fro pojo or wsdl
- JSF CRUD editor/generator
NetBeans, developing Ajax applications
- jMaki demonstration, charting library.
- Woostock ... component / widget library http://woodstock.dev.java.net components on the NB Visual web pack, built-in ajax support
- External AJAX Libraries
- RichFacesL AJAX Extensions to JSF, open source from RH
- Wicket: AJAX Library for Java Developers
Asynchronous AJAX for Revolutiontary Web Applications
- ICEfaces / Glassfish
- Push AJAX / Comet
- Web2.0 ... out of information age ... to the participation age. Users are creating the applications (ebay; users submit actions). treat the user as an http client.
- AJAX is a state of mind ... want the server to send a message into the browser, not initiated by the user
- Called "Ajax push", "Comet", or "Reverse Ajax" full async to the web. (jMail, yahoo mail)
- responsive low-latency interaction for the web, event driven browser applications
- no polling overhead
- NIO non-blocking threads.
- traditional servers are blocking
- Servlet 3.0, spec to support true async