Wednesday Feb 05, 2014
Recent retail data breaches serve as a sobering reminder that the retail industry continues to be a key target of cybercriminals in 2014.
In fact, according to the recent Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report, nearly a quarter of all data breaches occurred in retail environments and restaurants.
The Verizon report demonstrates that there exists a relationship between industry, attack motive, and threat actor. Payment card data is often stolen from retailers by organized criminals from many different geographies. They are going for volume and so should you. Protect your biggest targeted assets first – your databases.
Common attacks leverage legitimate user credentials to access sensitive databases and steal sensitive payment card data. Implement controls around what users have access to and enforce least privilege, especially in consolidated environments. Also, audit database activity to detect and stop unauthorized activity as well as collect critical forensic data that might be needed.
Despite following PCI DSS requirements, data breaches are a constant reminder that compliance is not enough to thwart a motivated attacker. Assess your existing controls to identify your company-specific vulnerabilities that put your organization's data at risk.
Oracle suggests retailers adopt a defense-in-depth approach to protect sensitive data from the inside out and future-proof against evolving regulatory requirements such as the new Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards.
To learn more about Oracle’s Security Inside Out approach and assess your data security posture for potentially disastrous vulnerabilities in your environment, please contact your Oracle Security account team to setup a complementary consultation.
Who are we?
Follow us on
- Register now for Oracle University Security Training Subscription
- How Spain Protects 400 Million Citizen Records
- Wanted: Outstanding Oracle Security Experts to Speak @OpenWorld 2016
- New Paper Explains Oracle Public Cloud Security
- Oracle Magazine Highlights "Security at Every Level"
- Securing Oracle Public Clouds
- Larry Ellison, New Rules of Thumb for Next-Generation Data Security
- ISACA Webcast on Cloud Security Prediction, Feb 11, 2016
- Oracle at RSA Conference 2016
- Cloud Prediction #2: Security as an Enabler