By Simon Coter-Oracle on May 11, 2015
Here you can find the new version ( 0.6d ) of the HotCloneVm.sh script ( one new bug-fix introduced, see above )
The requirement was to have an hot guest backup placed on an NFS-reporitory; this NFS repository ( mounted by all Oracle VM servers also on different pools ) is also mounted from a backup-server; on the other hand, an important requirement is the introduction of an automated backup retention policy.
The target is to have hot backups of guests on a target NFS repository where backup-server(s) (that could be based on all media library supplied by different Hardware Vendors) store everything on media library (tape and/or further media library) and, at the same time, apply a real retention policy time-based or redundancy-based.
So, here you have the script ( that interacts with Oracle VM Manager 3 CLI ) that allows you to schedule hot-snaps and to put them on a dedicated repository (NFS is suggested but you can also evaluate to put them on an OCFS2 repository and export only this "backup" repository outside ).
At the following link you can find a zipped file containing:
- "SetupSsh.sh" script to setup key-based authentication to Oracle VM Manager 3 CLI
- "HotCloneVm.sh" script to execute guests hot-backups and proceed to apply retention policies
- "HotCloneVM_0.6.pdf" containing a real user-guide to implement this backup strategy
- "README_FIRST.txt" containing some tips to configure ssh timeout(s)
# EDIT May, 11 2015 #
Introduced new release "0.6d" that fixes one problem where CloneCustomizer of "MoveVm phase" is being
deleted even if it is in use.
# EDIT March, 13 2015 #
Introduced new release "0.6c" that fixes two kind of problems:
- cloned backups own vNics.
- script is not able to apply backup retention on guest with a "-" in the name
At the following link there is the new 0.6d release available
Script tested also on latest 3.3.2 release.Corrections, comments and enhancements are welcome.