Thursday Feb 12, 2015
We just released a maintenance update for Oracle VM 3.3 to bring new hardware support, improved stability, and to provide bug fixes.
To download the updates:
Thursday Jan 15, 2015
By Scoter-Oracle on Jan 15, 2015
Here you can find the new version ( 0.6c ) of the HotCloneVm.sh script ( two bug-fixes introduced, see above )
The requirement was to have an hot guest backup placed on an NFS-reporitory; this NFS repository ( mounted by all Oracle VM servers also on different pools ) is also mounted from a backup-server; on the other hand, an important requirement is the introduction of an automated backup retention policy.
The target is to have hot backups of guests on a target NFS repository where backup-server(s) (that could be based on all media library supplied by different Hardware Vendors) store everything on media library (tape and/or further media library) and, at the same time, apply a real retention policy time-based or redundancy-based.
So, here you have the script ( that interacts with Oracle VM Manager 3 CLI ) that allows you to schedule hot-snaps and to put them on a dedicated repository (NFS is suggested but you can also evaluate to put them on an OCFS2 repository and export only this "backup" repository outside ).
At the following link you can find a zipped file containing:
- "SetupSsh.sh" script to setup key-based authentication to Oracle VM Manager 3 CLI
- "HotCloneVm.sh" script to execute guests hot-backups and proceed to apply retention policies
- "HotCloneVM_0.6.pdf" containing a real user-guide to implement this backup strategy
- "README_FIRST.txt" containing some tips to configure ssh timeout(s)
# EDIT March, 13 2015 #
Introduced new release "0.6c" that fixes two kind of problems:
- cloned backups own vNics.
- script is not able to apply backup retention on guest with a "-" in the name
At the following link there is the new 0.6c release available
Script tested also on latest 3.3.2 release.
# END EDIT #Corrections, comments and enhancements are welcome.
Thursday Nov 20, 2014
By Scoter-Oracle on Nov 20, 2014
Thanks to the success of the hands-on labs at Oracle OpenWorld and Virtual Technology Summit, we are now making those hands-on labs available for public download via OTN.
By the hyper-link http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/vm/downloads/hol-oraclevm-2368799.html you can find and download all the images (virtualbox machines) and documentation of the following labs:
- Create your own template using Oracle VM 3.3.1
- Build a Private DBaaS Cloud with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Build a complete high-available Oracle VM Architecture
Simon Coter is a Consulting Technical Manager for Oracle. He works on projects covering more Oracle products such as Oracle Database, eBusiness Suite, Oracle VM, Oracle Linux, Oracle ExaData and much more.
- Oracle VM 3.3.2 Officialy released!
- Oracle VM 3.3.x: guest hot-backup on different repository (v. 0.6c)
- Virtual Appliances Download for Oracle VM Hands-on Labs
- Oracle VM 3.3.1 script: guest hot-backup on different repository (v. 0.4)
- Oracle OpenWorld 2014 - Oracle VM Hands on Labs: HOL9078, HOL9079, HOL9121 and HOL9122
- Oracle VM 3.3.1 script: guest hot-backup on different repository (v. 0.2)
- Oracle VM 3.3.1 officially released
- Updated Oracle VM Hands-On-Labs
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013 hands on labs: HOL9981, HOL9982 and HOL10003
- Script: Know which dom(0) hold a dom(u)