glassfish, SJSAS distros...
By sathyan on Aug 21, 2007
There are many distributions of Sun Java System Application Server built on top of glassfish. Here is a list of them. This list applies only to the current version of glassfish(V2) and Sun Java System Application Server 9.1.
- An ant based installer to install glassfish that can be downloaded from here. This is a simple ant script based installer, creates a domain, often used for quick setup. This does not support upgrades, patching.
- Sun Java System Application Server 9.1(built on top of glassfish) has its own installers.
- File based installation(underlying product binaries are available as zip files) gets distributed as a). A bundle that includes Sun's High Availability Database and Java SE. and b). A bundle that does not include Sun's High Availability Database and Java SE.
- Native package based installers for linux and solaris platforms, Only one distribution that comes with Sun's High Availability Database and all the other required shared components including Java SE. Requires to be logged in as "root" to perform installation.
- SDK installers: Two types Java Application Platform SDK and Java EE SDK. These installers are distributed as the following bundles
- Sun Java System Application Server
- Sun Java System Application Server + Java SE
- Sun Java System Application Server + Java SE + Tools.
Please visit http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp for more information
Except for the ant based glassfish installers, all other installers are patchable and upgradeable.
For file based installation, in-place binary upgrade would mean installing a full distribution on top of an existing install base.
The installer is designed to take care of this. Upgrade and Patching is currently not tested on SDK installers. Though "Sun Java System Application Server" component part of SDK installers would support upgrade/patching, other components included in these distributions may or may not support it for each particular release.
For native package based installers, binary upgrades are handled through installer and patches will be handled through native patching wherever possible.
Application upgrade(domain upgrade) for all of the above installers are handled through upgrade tool bundled and installed as part of the product binaries.