What's new in Solaris Install?
By sarahsblog on Sep 23, 2007
Solaris Express Developer Edition 9/07: Introducing the New Solaris Installer
Today is the Solaris Express Developer Edition 9/07 launch! With Solaris Express Developer Edition 9/07 you will see the first in a series of planned projects for the "New Solaris Installer". You can download the image at Solaris Express Developer Edition 9/07.
The intended audience for this first New Solaris Installer project was novice Solaris users, wanting to download and try Solaris. The basic requirement for this project was that we needed provide a streamlined, easy to use installer with a whole new look and feel. As a result you will note that there are not many knobs with this version. That was intentional. An install takes 5 clicks. That's it! An upgrade takes 3 clicks, that's even better!
It is a great start for Solaris Install. But, it is just the start. We have lots planned for Solaris Install. To see all that we have planned in the next 6 months, take a look at Caiman.
The best way to show you the new look and feel is with pictures!
Welcome screen for New Solaris Installer
Disk Partitioning for New Solaris Installer
Installation Confirmation Page
The new look and feel is not all we offer with the New Solaris Installer. Check out this list:
- Install or Upgrade question asked before additional configuration questions
- Disk entries shown with current status for use during installation
- Upgrade instances also show current status with regard to upgradeability
- User account creation
- New slicing algorithm that gives a larger root slice, and an alternate root for Solaris Live Upgrade
- NetBeans and Sun Studio tools installation integrated seamlessly
- No unnecessary system identification questions
We hope you enjoy the first of many enhancements to the New Solaris Installer! Try it out and send your comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.