You can’t rush your journey to the cloud. It takes up front
planning and analysis to determine your first steps toward a cloud
environment. But with the right management
tools and best practices in place, it can be a much faster, simpler, and more
rewarding process than you might envision. Some initial steps to consider for your transition to cloud:
- A first step would be to consolidate, standardize and automate your existing
on-premises IT environment. This lays a
foundation for migration over time to the cloud. You don’t want to move from a heavily
distributed, non-standardized environment and then just move that into the
cloud. That just takes you from
essentially existing physical “sprawl” to virtual “sprawl”. Standardizing and consolidating is a key first
step to avoid propagation of these complexities into a cloud environment.
- Next, implement a private cloud, to leverage immediate benefits in increased agility while retaining control of your environment. More and more companies are implementing a private cloud with self-service access, automation, elastic scaling, and so forth, to achieve the benefits of cloud on-premises.
- Explore Oracle’s extensive public cloud services, from cloud applications, to PaaS, to IaaS. Educate yourself about the offerings with the multitude of white papers, webcasts, demos, and videos available. This will help you in your planning and strategizing on which project to implement in Oracle Cloud first.
- Look at the management capabilities included with the Oracle Cloud services. A key aspect is the use of Oracle Enterprise Manager, which allows you to manage your on-premises or private cloud, as well as your services running in Oracle Cloud.
- Start with your simplest use cases, and move those first, such as development and test. Development and test environments are ideal as they typically have no data dependency or security considerations, as you are using strictly test data.
further information on moving to cloud, you can start here