We've made several changes in the code handling font antialiasing inside editor. I've tested these changes on most widely used platforms with JDK 5 and it seems that everything works fine. This fix can improve performance on some platforms where antialiasing was previously slow. I've seen quite visible performance improvements on Solaris.
Please let me know through the blog comments or via firstname.lastname@example.org in case you will encounter any issue with antialiasing. I also encourage people who previously had issues with antialiasing (mainly ATI cards on Linux and Solaris) and disabled it to try to turn it on and let us know if the peformance got better, remained the same or got worse (should not happen). The best way is to test it is to compare 4.1 final and current daily build. Thanks!Update:
As pointed out by Vincent
, there were also changes in antialiasing outside editor on WinXP platform. To try them you need to set ClearType in WinXP (Display Properties | Appearance | Effects | Smooth Edges -> ClearType, Apply). Then if you restart the recent daily build of NetBeans menu and dialog fonts become antialiased. This was set experimentally to get feedback from users, so if you like it or dislike it, please express your opinion through comments or at email@example.com.