Are you curious about the newest NetBeans
editor improvements? Two hot topics are redesigned code completion and suggestions. I got a permission from the developers to post steps how to build NetBeans with these - so you can try them out! Checkout and build takes some time and effort, so be prepared for it. You have been warned.
1. Checkout CVS sources - CVSROOT=:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs (more info here
- cvs checkout -P stable_nowww
- cvs checkout -P -r completion editor/completion java/editor
- cvs checkout -P -f -r completion nbbuild_nowww
The size of downloaded files is around 430 MB. No, we won't help you with paying your Internet connection bill.
2. Build NetBeans with ant using following command in nbbuild subdirectory (more info here
- ant build-nozip all-editor/errorstripe all-editor/errorstripe/annotations all-java/errorstripe all-tasklist/errorstripe all-editor/hints all-java/hints
That's it, once the IDE is built, you can czech the new features out. In case you have troubles with building, write me a comment and I'll help you.Warning:
these features are under development and the IDE built with them should not be used in production environment
. Their functionality may change and no quality is guaranteed. There are several known bugs and the UI will be changed, too. Take them just as preview of new functionality
New Code Completion:
Improved, faster, sexier.
Suggestions (aka Editor Hints):
A lightbulb for Java editor, which provides several hints. When a light bulb appears, press Alt-Enter to get the list of possible hints. Most hints are available on lines with error annotations.
Better than your paperclip!
Currently, there are following hints available:
- Add import
- Implement all abstract methods. Works for both "normal" classes and annonymous inner classes
- Add throws clause to the method header
- Create method/field
- Add cast (for example:
List l; String s = l.get(0);)
- Encapsulate field: works on non-private fields
Why am I posting this? We want to know your feedback. If you take your time to download and build NetBeans from CVS, please spare a minute or two and let us know what you think about the improvements.