Where Have All the Daily Builds Gone...?
By Roman Strobl on X 27, 2006
I wanted to get the latest daily build of NetBeans 6.0 to try the new editor features after the merge, but unfortunately there are no new daily builds yet (I can imagine release engineering guys must be quite busy with the 5.5 release which comes during next week!).
So if you want to try NetBeans 6 after merge of the new editor stuff you can try this build I just created from trunk. A lot of the modules in the IDE are deactivated because of the infrastructure changes and some features don't work yet and also don't be surprised if you get an exception or two ;) The list of new editing features is here.
- Code completion is faster. Yay!!!
- Try to open any project you worked on before. The code is much more colorful (I wonder if it's not too much - it will need some time to get used to it).
- The mark occurrences feature is very useful.
- Try to select a piece of code with mouse and then invoke the hint. You can surround with many useful constructs.
- Instant rename rocks! (try Ctrl-R on a variable)
- Code completion finally isn't dumb and behaves according to the context you're in.
- Unused imports and variables are very useful.
- Everything is faster and seems to eat less memory... and I guess there still will be time for some performance optimizations, way to go!
- There are some other long-awaited features in the menus such as "Go to file", "Problems window" and "Inheritence outline" which don't seem to work yet, but it's good to see these are in the plan.