NetBeans Podcast Episode #32 - Interview With Tor Norbye
By Roman Strobl on VII 21, 2007
We interviewed Tor Norbye about his work on the Ruby support in NetBeans:
NetBeans Podcast Episode #32 (38 min 46 sec, size: 23.3 MB)
- 0:00 Introduction and Tor's podcasting, he's also a podcaster at the Javaposse
- 2:30 What Tor has worked on at Sun: Java Studio Creator, Project Semplice, and the Ruby tools
- 5:00 Overview of Ruby features in the NetBeans IDE
- 7:25 Debugging Ruby
- 9:50 Rails support
- 10:51 Switching between Ruby implementations
- 11:49 Implementation of the type inference and code completion logic
- 17:10 Implementation of refactoring features
- 18:54 Features Tor wants to implement next
- 21:33 Community feedback
- 23:17 Why should Java developers look at Ruby?
- 26:38 Other Ruby development tools
- 29:49 A version of NetBeans IDE that just has Ruby support? Check out this page on deadlock
- 32:16 Opportunities for contributors and cool features; check out the wiki page.
- 34:55 Support for other dynamic languages. Erlang IDE based on Tor's code.
To subscribe via iTunes or similar players, visit http://feeds.feedburner.com/netbeanspod.