First, a nod to other blogs that have been chronicling Solaris on an Eee PC:
It was in large part due to conversations with Fiona and Tim that I decided to jump on the Eee PC bandwagon.
Like Tim, I started with an Eee PC 4G model (with 512 MBytes of memory). However, pretty much as soon as it arrived, I was off to ZhongGuanCun to purchase a 2 GByte memory upgrade, and, well, a 16 GByte SD HC card. With this new configuration, I also decided to install the (newly released) SXDE 1/08 software instead of the Project Indiana bits. And, well, take a look:
Yep, that's my little Eee PC driving a 46-inch Samsung LCD.
Now, some notes:
- The problem Tim reported here with Project Indiana bits didn't occur with SXDE.
- No tweaks were needed to get it going... specified the SD HC card as the install/boot device, and that was it.
- I'm running pre-release bits for WiFi. The current bits have problems with the integrated Atheros chip.
- The sound is a problem. Waiting on some upcoming OSS bits for that.
- The darn thing panicked (CR 6662425) when I tried to boot into xVM.
In the meantime, I'm gonna try to get VirtualBox going... see Joe Bonasera's blog about it here.
All in all, I'm extremely pleased with this machine. And, well, for a total price of under $US 500, I think it it rocks. (I'll be bringing it to the February 28th meeting of the Beijing OpenSolaris User Group, hopefully with a couple other nifty things running. :)