Word Freak - More Scrabble Links
By user12607856 on Jul 22, 2005
I'm continuing to work my way through Word Freak (about eigthy pages to go). I'll review that soon, but for now, I want to share a few noteworthy links to items touched on by the book.
- To a computer version of Scrabble available for free download as an eight hour trail, which you can later buy. This appears to be based on the Maven Scrabble program by Brian Sheppard.
- Verbatim Magazine. Their web page describes it as "the only magazine of language and linguistics for the layperson". Several back issues are also available for download or for browsing online.
- As mentioned by Jeff in a comment to my
previous Word Freak post,
LeXpert is available
It's a software program designed to assist word game enthusiasts in expanding their knowledge of words. It offers more than 3500 word lists and different ways of viewing these lists. Customized lists can be created based on patterns, cryptograms, anagrams, number of vowels, etc.
- You can look up words in the official Scrabble players dictionary. There are two versions: one for the USA and one for the rest of the world. More on why that is so, with the book review.
- A Scrabble FAQ with oodles of fascinating links.