Announcing JSDT v2.2
By user12607856 on Sep 30, 2004
I'm pleased to announce the second open-source release of the Shared Data Toolkit for Java Technology. This toolkit implements a multipoint data delivery service for use in support of highly interactive, collaborative applications.
The following changes have been made to JSDT since the v2.1 release:
- Added in support for a JGroups reliable multicast implementation, and made this the default multicast implementation (the alternative is LRMP).
- Removed all references to the RMF/RAMP multicast implementation (as this is no longer available for download).
- Instructions have been updated in the top-level README to describe what needs to be done to setup to build the JGroups and/or LRMP multicast implementations.
- Adjusted code to build with JDK 1.5.0.
- Fixed up all the deprecated method warnings in the JSDT toolkit classes (and implementations).
- Fixed up the two deprecated method warnings in the sound example.
- Fixed up 5 out of 6 of the deprecated warnings in the ppong example.
- Adjusted .../socket/SSLSocketFactory.java to use the SSL Socket code in the javax.net.ssl classes.
- Removed all references to USE_SSL and SSL_CLASSES from the README and the build environment.
- Updated section 8.2.2. of the User Guide to use the only default cipher available (SSL_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5) and remove the sentence indicating that you need to supply the SSL socket package.
- Q12 of the JSDT FAQ now covers how to setup SSL socket supprt. See: https://jsdt.dev.java.net/files/documents/1222/4670/JSDT-FAQ.html#Q12
- Rewrote the browser example to use the Swing toolkit (with the JEditorPane widget doing the HTML rendering) rather than the ICE browser Java bean.
- Adjusted the top-level README and the build hierarchy to remove all references to the ICE Browser.
- Browser example titleline now includes "[Teacher]" for the first started version.
- With the browser example, if a URL is incorrect, a dialog now displays an error message.
- Changes to decrement the noThreads count of the number of created DataReceivedThreads when a data received thread terminates (after handling the received messages). Done for socket, http and multicast implementations.
- Removed references to SOUND_CLASSES in the top-level README and the Makefile.defs and Makefile.config files as the Java sound classes are now a standard part of the JRE/JDK.
- Adjusted the protection level of the various setShutdown methods. They should not be public.
- Preparation for building irrespective of the build platform. Added preliminary ANT build file.
- Changed the getManagerId() method in com.sun.media.jsdt.http.ManageableServer to public to make the HTTP protocol version compile again.
There are two ways to get the JSDT 2.2 distribution.
- As a single zipped file of the source distribution. See the "Documents & files" link on the left of the project home page. The file you want is jsdt-src-2.2.zip under jsdt/releases.
- From the CVS repository. See:
for more details on how to do this.
Anybody interested in JSDT should become a member of java.net (if they are not already one), and then join this project.