Multiple SOA Developers Using a Single Install
By Antony Reynolds on Oct 09, 2013
Running Multiple SOA Developers from a Single Install
A question just came up about how to run multiple developers from a single software install. The objective is to have a single software installation on a shared server and then provide different OS users with the ability to create their own domains. This is not a supported configuration but it is attractive for a development environment.
Out of the Box
Before we do anything special lets review the basic installation.
- Oracle WebLogic Server 10.3.6 installed using oracle user in a Middleware Home
- Oracle SOA Suite 188.8.131.52 installed using oracle user
- Software installed with group oinstall
- Developer users dev1, dev2 etc
- Each developer user is a member of oinstall group and has access to the Middleware Home.
To get this to work I did the following customization
- In the Middleware Home make all user readable files/directories group readable and make all user executable files/directories group executable.
- find $MW_HOME –perm /u+r ! –perm /g+r | xargs –Iargs chmod g+r args
- find $MW_HOME –perm /u+x ! –perm /g+x | xargs –Iargs chmod g+x args
When creating a domain for a developer note the following:
- Each developer will need their own FMW repository, perhaps prefixed by their username, e.g. dev1, dev2 etc.
- Each developer needs to use a unique port number for all WebLogic channels
- Any use of Coherence should use Well Known Addresses to avoid cross talk between developer clusters (note SOA and OSB both use Coherence!)
- If using Node Manager each developer will need their own instance, using their own configuration.