By Rose Spicer-Oracle on May 19, 2016
Today’s economy is one of “short-term gratification,” Hurd said, driving many companies to cut costs—particularly in IT—as a means of compensating for slowing revenue growth. Cutbacks in corporate IT spending also mean companies are stuck with an aged and brittle legacy environment. “Pre-search, pre-mobile, pre-everything we know is when most of these applications were built,” Hurd pointed out.
It all adds up to an “incredible need for innovation, very old infrastructure, and there's no money,” he said. The cloud will be the only way for companies to leapfrog from where they are today to the speed, innovation, and cost control they desperately need.
“Being able to move quickly, being able to adjust to market dynamics, and being able to do it fast and do it while you deliver, is what's on CEOs' minds,” he said. Oracle, he said, is “going to lead [this] ten-year transition to the cloud.”
Oracle CEO Mark Hurd provides five eye-opening, cloud-related predictions for 2025.
1. Eighty percent of all production apps will be in the cloud. “Today it’s about 25 percent,” Hurd said.
2. Two software-as-a-service (SaaS) suite providers will have 80 percent of the cloud enterprise application market. “I volunteer us to be one of them,” Hurd quipped.
3. One hundred percent of software development/testing efforts will be conducted in the cloud. “The days of having servers and operating systems and databases and doing all this on premises are gone,” he said.
4. All enterprise data will be stored virtually in the cloud. “More data is in the cloud now than in traditional storage systems,” Hurd commented.
5. The enterprise cloud will be the most secure IT environment. “We are fully patched, fully secured, fully encrypted—that’s our cloud,” noted Hurd.
The economic environment all but dictates that these changes will take place, and quickly. Oracle Retail is striving to keep pace with this expectation. In the last year we have launched several cloud services to solve complex business issues to provide you choice, speed and innovation.
Best-in-class retail solutions now available in the Oracle Cloud
Oracle Retail provides retailers with a fast and cost effective manner to deploy our solutions, the ability to achieve maximum business value with minimal risk, and improvement in their overall retail operations. Click here to learn more: