As you know, NetBeans 6.5 coming.... and contributing new features into NetBeans 7.0 (Dev) has started recently. One of them - importing plugins from previous release into new one - is here.
How does Plugin Import work?
If are you starting NetBeans 7.0 (Dev) for the first time e.g. with
fresh userdir, you will be asked if you want to import settings from
previous version (if any). Let's say Yes.
- NetBeans imported your settings and then continue starting of IDE as usual.
some delay, Plugin Import will investigate the previous version - the
previous userdir - for NetBeans plugins placed there.
- If any plugins found there:
In case that some plugins can import, you will be notified by icon in IDE status line, clicking on it you can invoked the dialog above.
- Plugin Import check if these plugins are installed already in running IDE.
- Plugin Import checks if these plugins are available on any subscribed Update Center in Tools|Plugins
- If none of that, Plugin Import investigates if these plugins could be copied into running IDE.
So if you found any problems your feedback is more then
welcomed. Either file a issue into Issuezilla (choose autoupdate category) or let me know here. Thanks
Design and UI outline is at http://wiki.netbeans.org/ImportPluginsFromReleaseToRelease
Q: There is a possibility to import plugins from different directory?
- Yes, there is. Just run you NetBeans application (IDE) with command line switch -J-Dplugin.manager.import.from=/path/to/cluster
- You need to specify path to any NetBeans userdir or whatever NetBeans cluster.
In the end, a small org announcement Further developing or maintaining of Plugin Manager/Autoupdate Services have been overtaken by a team who cares for NetBeans IDE installation for whole and I'm going to support NetBeans Plugin Development aka apisupport. Thank you for your feedback and reporting problems you found in Plugin Manager which helping us to deliver Plugin Manager in a fair quality.