Silent Update of RCP Application as NetBeans Module Sample
By Rechtacek's on May 26, 2010
I got many requests to showing how to update Netbeans RCP Application silently. I blogged about long time ago - how_to_update_netbeans_platform including some code snippets. Right now I published on kenai.com a NetBeans Module Sample Sample Silent Update which allows you to add a sample doing Silent Update directly to your application.
How to try it?
- Use recent NetBeans 6.9 builds (This sample works since NetBeans 6.9 or newer, if needed it can be backported to, say to NetBeans 6.5).
- Open your RCP Application. As a example I got Sample CRUD Application.
- Invoke Tools|Plugins, switch in Downloaded tab, add Plugin org-netbeans-modules-apisupport-silentup date.nbm and install it. It's hosted in http://kenai.com/projects/silentautoupdate/downloads/directory/bits
- Now we can use the newly added template Sample Silent Update
- In 3rd step in New Project Wizard specify a Update Center where application's updates will be published. As a sample you can use http://kenai.com/projects/silentautoupdate/downloads/download/updates.xml which contains a update of Silent Update Sample itself to proof of concept.
- Now, Silent Update module will appear beside other your application modules.
- Add Silent Update module into your application.
- Resolve missing dependencies in your application if needed.
- Run your application. After while, all available update will be downloaded and prepared for install. Before next start of your application, the updates will be installed. In the case you using the Sample Update Center, a update of Silent Update module will be installed.
- That's all. All sources of Silent Update are now present in your application thus you can modify them and adding new feature if needed.