In the first article of the series we showed how easy it is to upload an ISO image to Ravello.
In this article, we will demonstrate how can you create, configure and publish a VM in Ravello using this ISO image. We will also show how to change the Memory, NIC, and other parameters while launching a VM.
Creating an Application Design
The first step is to create an application and application design. Your application design is a set of definitions that describe an application, including virtual machine images, supplied and required service interfaces, and connectivity, as applicable.
To create an application:
- On the Ravello Applications page, click New Application. You are then prompted to provide application details such as name and description.
- In the Create application section, select From scratch, then click OK.
Your application is created and a blank design workspace or canvas opens in a new tab automatically.
You can simply drag any VM from your library onto the canvas. In the example below, we have dragged an empty VM onto the canvas.
To configure the VM:
- Double-click on the VM to easily edit the VM parameters. (The parameters may vary based on the operating system.
- To change the network parameters, select Networks from the navigation pane.
- Click Edit to modify the parameters.
- Select the device type from the Device Type dropdown menu.
- To modify the disk, select Disks from the left navigation pane.
- From the Disks list select the hda disk, and click Edit.
- From the Controller Type dropdown list, select the disk controller type.
- We have used an empty VM so a CD-ROM appears on the Disks list. You can use that disk to install the VM using the uploaded iso image. Select cdrom and click Edit.
- Click Browse to locate the images that you have uploaded to Disks library.
- Select the image you uploaded from the list.
- Click Save. Your iso image appears in the cdrom and enables you to create a VM from the ISO image.
Next, we will see how to publish that VM and install the operating system.
Publishing the VM
Once you have uploaded the image; and configured the parameters you can start the bootable image which was uploaded earlier by publishing the application.
Ravello enables you choose a publishing option based on cost optimization or performance optimization. You can view the specific pricing based on your selections prior to publishing the application.
To publish the VM:
- In the design tab for your application, click the button. The Publish Application dialog box is displayed.
- Select Cost Optimized or Performance Optimized (The option label appears in blue when selected.)
- Select the relevant cloud provider and geographic zone.
- Click Publish. When the publish process is complete, the application instance is started. Once the VM is successfully published, a green icon appears on the VM in the application design.
- To open the VM console, click in the lower right pane. The Ravello VNC page opens in a new browser page, enabling you to see that your VM is loading the necessary files to install the operating system.
- The operating system has started building. Optionally, you can click the Show Keyboard button if you need to use the virtual keyboard at any time during installation.
When prompted, provide any necessary information during the installation.
After one reboot you will be able to see the server screen as shown below.
This completes the process of installing a VM by importing an ISO image to Ravello.