Ping Star Wars Parody: May the Schwaaaaartz be with you!
By dr156914 on Jan 09, 2009
Happy New Year! I just finished watching a portion of the new Ping Star Wars parody. (Sorry Ping friends. I didn't make it through the entire thing. It's just reeeeeaaaal loooooong.) I have to laugh though when I see them making the open v. proprietary and big v. small argument because Ping's commercial product is closed and proprietary!
OpenSSO is 100% open source, has a thriving external community and is completely free in all aspects of the word. We have lots of stories of companies deploying it on there own without Sun knowledge and from an innovation stand point we are moving at a trailblazing pace.
So . . . In the spirit of openness, it's that time of year where I plan to outline what we'll be doing in the OpenSSO Project over the next few months. I plan to write a multi-part series outlining the major features we will be adding to the product. To give a teaser, the core features that I'll be writing about are listed below. Stay tuned for more details over the next week or so.
UPCOMING FEATURES FOR OPENSSO:
1. Service-level Monitoring - service-level monitoring for large scale deployments.
2. Access Entitlement Management - Fine grained authorization for protecting web objects
3. 1x Passwords using SMS - Light-weight two-factor authentication using mobile phones.
4. Password Replay / Enhanced Reverse Proxy - The ability to memorize and recall passwords for web-apps not protected by your single sign-on solution
5. Embedded Container Option - Embedding Glassfish Application Server in OpenSSO so you don't need to deploy and configure a container prior to deploying OpenSSO
6. Ease-of-Use Task Flows - Lots more task flows that make it easier than ever to use OpenSSO services