• BAM
    December 6, 2008

A tussle with BAM and ASPNET

Ramkumar Menon
Director, Product Strategy

The first symptom ....

Oracle BAM Active data cache fails to start.

I went ahead and checked the logs in $ORACLE_BAM_HOME\Logs\ActiveDataCache.log.

I see a error trace that looks like

2008-12-06 03:02:01,391 [732] ERROR - ActiveDataCache DPAPI was unable to decrypt data. CryptUnprotectData failed. Error -2146893813: Key not valid for use in specified state.

2008-12-06 03:02:01,401 [732] WARN - ActiveDataCache Exception occurred in method Startup

Stack trace:

at Oracle.BAM.Common.Security.DataProtector.DPAPI.Decrypt(Byte[] cipherTextBytes, Byte[] entropyBytes, String& description)

at Oracle.BAM.Common.Security.DataProtector.DPAPI.Decrypt(String cipherText, String entropy, String& description)

at Oracle.BAM.Common.Security.DataProtector.DPAPI.Decrypt(String cipherText)

at Oracle.BAM.Common.Security.DataProtector.DataProtector.Decrypt(String strData)

at Oracle.BAM.ActiveDataCache.Kernel.StorageEngine.Oracle.ConnectionStringDecrypter.Decrypt(String strEncrypted)

at Oracle.BAM.ActiveDataCache.Kernel.StorageEngine.Oracle.OracleDataFactory.GetInstance()

at Oracle.BAM.ActiveDataCache.Kernel.StorageEngine.Oracle.OracleStorageEngine.GetDataFactory()

at Oracle.BAM.ActiveDataCache.Kernel.StorageEngine.Oracle.OracleStorageEngine.GetServerVersion()

at Oracle.BAM.ActiveDataCache.Kernel.StorageEngine.Oracle.OracleStorageEngine.Startup(IDictionary oParameters)

at Oracle.BAM.ActiveDataCache.Kernel.Server.DataStoreServer.Startup()


Fortunately, Metalink had a nice note on this one.

See Document 467837.1 on metalink.

The next showstopper

After this got fixed, I attempted to load up the Oracle BAM home page - but it would not load up.

It stated the following error message.

"Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.

Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. "

I went ahead and took a look at the Event Viewer in my Control Panel --> Administrative Tools.

It had a bunch of errors that stated

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is 80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Fortunately, I was able to find a solution at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315158.

Be the first to comment

Comments ( 0 )
Please enter your name.Please provide a valid email address.Please enter a comment.CAPTCHA challenge response provided was incorrect. Please try again.