Blurb BookSmart software on OpenSolaris
By psum on Oct 12, 2009
I would like to create my first photo book. After short investigation I decided to give a chance to Blurb. But wait, their BookSmart software is just for Macintosh and Windows. Short Internet search revels that it's actually Java application and that some Linux guys were successful to run it. So, why I should not run it on OpenSolaris?
Following is the procedure to install and run Blurb BookSmart software on OpenSolaris and other similar systems with Java (tested with BookSmart version 2.5.0). It is based on Ubuntu documentation.
1. Download BookSmart version for Macintosh from Blurb web pages.
(After download I had it in following location ~/Downloads/BookSmart_2.5.0.dmg)
2. As OpenSolaris cannot handle DMG images, we need to install just another Java application which can do it - HFSExplorer.
3. Now we will extract software into ~/BookSmart directory.
./unhfs.sh -o ~/BookSmart -fsroot BookSmart.app/Contents/Resources/Java ~/Downloads/BookSmart_2.5.0.dmg
4. There is also need for script which will start the application.
cat > ~/BookSmart/run.sh << EOF
# Build classpath with all jars in the lib directory
for jar in lib/\*.jar
java -Xincgc -ea -Xms256m -Xmx1024m -classpath \\$classpath com.blurb.booksmart.application.BookSmart
chmod a+x ~/BookSmart/run.sh
5. From now and on Blurb BookSmart application can be started using new run script.