Up in the Air: Team Oracle Play-by-Play
By Aaron Lazenby on May 05, 2010
Yesterday, I had the amazing opportunity to fly along with Sean D. Tucker and Team Oracle. Leaving from the San Carlos airport, we did a 30 minute flight over the Pacific just south of the coastal town of Half Moon Bay. In that half hour, I rode through a massive 4G loop, survived a crushing hammerhead, and took control of the plane to perform a basic wing over (you can learn what the heck I'm talking about by visiting this website).
I have lots of great video, but it's going to take me some time to make sense of it. For now, here's my Twitter-based play-by-play of yesterday's events. Many thanks to Sean D. Tucker and the whole crew (Ben and Ian, especially) for this great opportunity to fly with Team Oracle.
Live tweets from @OracleProfit
- I will be spending the afternoon in a stunt plane, upside down above the San Francisco bay. http://bit.ly/cwkrkI
- At the San Carlos airport. More than slightly freaked out. Shaking hands diminish texting ability.
- Slightly reassuring. http://yfrog.com/1qt61nj
- There go the doors to the photo plane... #teamoracle http://yfrog.com/58ywlj
- Sean D Tucker assures me: "The sky is a great place to be." Helpful, but I'm still nervous. #teamoracle
- "You get a parachute. He gets a harness." How was this decision made? #teamoracle
- The plane with @radu43 has returned. I'm up next...
- Couldn't help myself...drank a soda before flying. Mistake? We'll see... #teamoracle
- Advice of the day "If you pull with two hands, you improve the chances of the chute deploying on the first try." Lovely. #teamoracle
- I feel so strange. But I flew a high performance airplane. And did an aerobatics move. Wild. #teamoracle
- "Flying ten feet off he ground, upside-down at 250 miles per hour isn't exciting to me." Sean D. Tucker #teamoracle
- "What is exciting to me is flying that perfect pattern, just like I imagined it in my head." Sean D. Tucker #teamoracle
- "You're going to sleep well tonight. You just carried four times your body weight." #teamoracle #gforce
- Just watched the #teamoracle plane take off for its flight home. I'm waiting for Caltrain. #undignifiedanticlimax
- Enough with the #teamoracle. Check http://blogs.oracle.com/profit for the video. Coming soon!