What do I need to know before using Extended Dimensionality in Financial Consolidation and Close (FCCS)?
Thank you to Rich Wilkie, Senior Director, Product Management, for the presentation on this topic.
Below are the answers to the Frequently Asked Questions about using Extended Dimensionality in FCCS.
1. How do I request extended dimensionality?
- Requests should follow the one-off patch request process following the additional guidelines in the October, 2018 What’s New:
2. How many dimensions can I have?
- When Extended Dimensionality is enabled, you can create four Custom dimensions.
- If the application is enabled with the Multi-GAAP reporting option, you can create three Custom dimensions.
3. When will I receive the update?
- The target release date for the availability of this one-off patch is mid-October, 2018.
- You can request it starting now and at any time after that as well.
- The update will first be applied to the test environment.
- Production will only be updated when you request it from Support.
4. Will my existing application work once I receive the new functionality?
- When the Extended Dimensionality update is applied, your existing application will no longer be available. You must create a new application. You cannot modify the number of dimensions in an existing application.
- After the update is complete, any existing application snapshot cannot be loaded.
- NOTE: Existing customers who do not require extra dimensions do not need to do anything and are not affected.
5. Can I use LCM snapshots?
- Extended Dimensionality is only available for new applications. The Migration Snapshot feature is not available between non-Extended Dimension and Extended Dimension applications.
- Once you create an application, you can use it within Extended Dimensional environments, you just cannot use it between Extended and non-Extended environments.
7. Will my environment be upgraded automatically the next month?
- For subsequent releases, if you have Extended Dimensionality, you must also request an update from Oracle Support.
NOTE: This only affects those customers who have requested and are using Extended Dimensions
8. What else is different between extended dimensionality functionality?
- Custom Dimensions: The default members are exactly the same, except that the “Total Custom” member is now “Dynamic Calc” instead of “Never Share”. Any new parent members that you create in these Custom dimensions must use the Data Storage property of “Dynamic Calc”.
- Multi-GAAP Dimension: The default Multi-GAAP hierarchy that is created by the application now follows the same paradigm as the Custom dimensions. The Data Storage property for Parent members will be “Dynamic Calc”.
- Intercompany Dimension: The FCCS_Intercompany Entities parent member is now created as a “Dynamic Calc” member. You do not need to make any changes to this dimension.
- View Dimension: The system will add three new members under a new parent member “FCCS_View_System Members”: “FCCS_QTD_RULE”, “FCCS_HYTD_RULE”, and “FCCS_YTD_RULE”. QTD, HYTD and YTD member formulas will now be “Never Share” and populated when consolidation is executed.
9. Are there any known issues?
- For applications that do not have Ownership Management enabled, the values in Proportion and Contribution members for accounts with Time Balance of type “Balance” will be shown incorrectly. This is a known issue that will be fixed in a future release.
10. What if I don’t need extra dimensions?
- Existing applications that do not need more than two custom dimensions are not affected and no changes or actions are required. This article is specific to customers who require more than two custom dimensions only.