How to self diagnose consolidation failures and performance issues in Financial Consolidation Cloud Service (FCCS)?
Thank you to the following people for the presentation on this topic.
Prasad Tungaturthy, Director, EPM
Shailesh Kumar, Senior Director, EPM
Vinay Gupta, Consulting Member of Technical Staff
Below are the causes of Consolidation Performance and Functional Issues:
1. Bad application design:
2. Unnecessary calculations:
- The consolidation process and steps are clearly documented in FCCS.
- By default, FCCS performs many calculations during the consolidation process that may not be needed for the customer.
- Turning some of these calculations off could improve performance:
- Balance Sheet Calculation - If the Balance Sheet is out of balance, a balancing amount is calculated and posted to a seeded account called "Balance". This is a predefined miscellaneous liability account which is used solely for the purpose of keeping the Balance Sheet balanced. You have the option to disable this calculation if you do not want the system to automatically balance the Balance Sheet for you.
- Ratios Calculations - Disabling the Ratios Calculations will also give a boost in performance. You cannot disable Ratios on an existing app; therefore, the app will have to be recreated with Ratios unchecked when specifying the creation application options.
3. Poorly written configurations/extensions:
- The default consolidation logic can be extended by the customer or partner.
- The customer specific logic is inserted as part of the overall consolidation process and can be written as:
- Member formulas
- Calculation logic
- Translation/consolidation overrides
- Poorly written logic in these extensions/configurations can severely cause performance degradation
4. Lack of needed house keeping:
- Clearing Empty Blocks - Keeping the Essbase engine tuned by removing unnecessary data blocks and ensuring the structure is efficiently stored is important for optimal consolidation performance.
- Dense restructure
- Doing the necessary house keeping can improve consolidation performance.
5. Software bug/issue:
6. Consolidation Functional Issues:
- After performing step 1-5 and making the necessary corrections, the consolidation performance may have improved but you may still see some functional issues. Check the Presentation for more information.