For all of you that have received the information about the End of Life of the classic Excel Add In for Essbase, and now wondering what to do once it is no longer with us.
Oracle has released a White Paper with the title: "Moving from Essbase Spreadsheet Add-in to Oracle® Hyperion Smart View for Office, Fusion Edition".
You can find it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/smart-view-for-office/overview/sv-wp-oracle-toc-revrec-2012-ea-1722850.pdf
It gives you some of the reasons why SmartView is preferred to the classic Add In:
REASONS TO MOVE TO SMART VIEW
Smart View is the Strategic Office Add-in for Oracle EPM and Oracle® BI products including Oracle® Essbase. Smart View is vastly improved from the Oracle® Essbase Spreadsheet Add-in many ways. Here are some reasons to consider for moving from Essbase Spreadsheet Add-in to Smart View:
- Improved feature functionality over Essbase Spreadsheet Add-in
- Single add-in for multiple products as opposed to only Essbase
- Rich functionality specific to the data source (Essbase, Planning etc.)
- Support for Word and PowerPoint
- 64-bit Office support
- Support for newer versions of Office and Windows O/S’s
- "When accessing EPM sources, end users like to see the same type and quality of chart across all Office products."
- The new release of Smart View allows users accessing EPM sources from an Office environment to render the same type and quality of charts across Office products - Excel, Word, or PowerPoint.
- Improved architecture keeping pace with newer trends in Office and Analysis
- HTTP(s) makes access possible via internet/
As well as a number of tips on how to migrate and how to use some of the features.
Looking for more information about SmartView? - visit its Documentation on technet