Ordinary user impressions of OpenSolaris updated to build 126
By Roman Ivanov on Oct 29, 2009
Its being a while since my last blog. And since many projects still in progress I will share my impression about recent build of OpenSolaris b126.
I am long time user of OpenSolaris. This is my tool for everyday work and I have it on my notebook. But still I am just a user, a little of admin, totally not a developer of this system. OpenSolaris 2009.06 was a major milestone with most every features polished to that date. But some was not as good as I wanted them to be. So I came a long road of updating to dev builds. I had all of them starting from 116 till 126. In every build there were improvements as well as new bugs. Only starting with 126 I can say that I feel good about it.
So here is the list why go dev and what you should be ready to. I am not writing in which release bug was fixed. Consider this as a
"diff 111a 126" and I am not pretend to show all diff, this is only what is sensitive to me:
- Firefox was beta in 2009.06 and bunch of needed
addons does not work in this beta. That was first reason why I started to go
dev. Probably I can go updating applications only, but I decided to have whole system recent. Firefox is 3.5.3 now.
- System monitor applet had disk activity broken, but now it is fine.
- Overwall system performance (Compiz at maximum visual, Firefox) performs much better. This is purely subjective.
- Sound subsystem has changed. Keyboard beep annoying my coworkers. Did not get how to mute it or lower volume permanently.
- Pidgin's yahoo icon problem is fixed. It was showing offline even when you connected. Pidgin is 2.6.2
- In some builds printer monitor applet gone wild eating cpu. But now its fine.
- I noticed that my /var was growing. This is due to each 'pkg update' is storing downloaded packages. Can be fixed with
$ pfexec pkg set-property flush-content-cache-on-success true
- No more Ctrl-D in Terminal, have to use "exit". Didn't look at it yet. Typing "exit" may be annoying, but it saves from accidental closing of terminals. Right now I have just 5 opened sessions in terminal, usually more.
- I have strange problem with Marvell Yukon Ethernet. Before 125 I had a driver from the vendor. But it does not work for build 125 and 126. So I decided to remove YUKONXsolx and give a try to yge. Something strange happening here. I have external USB disk drive attached. I use this drive periodically as rpool mirror to have a spare. As soon as I have this drive attached before the system booted my ethernet refuses to work. So I need to have USB disk drive detached when system boots. Details are here.
- Now waiting for zfs dedup
- Other frequently used applications: Rhythmbox with Audio.fm, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, QCAD, Gimp, Stellarium (Blastwave please update your repository with recent versions! and why it so rare online?), Adobe Reader.