Installing Windows Vista Service pack on system with GRUB
By Roman Ivanov-Oracle on Jul 09, 2008
I have Vista and Opensolaris on my laptop. And recently I faced a problem installing Service pack 1 on Vista because of GRUB installed. SP1 did MBR checking and since no Vista MBR present it fails to update Vista. Here is solution:
- Download MBRFix from Sysint site. It is better to put it on flash drive.
- Start CMD as Administrator and change working directory to flash with fixmbr.
- List current partitions:
- Save current MBR
- Fix MBR for Vista
- Make Vista partition active
- Install Vista Service Pack.
- Vista completes Service pack installation after several reboots
- Restore previous MBR
H:\\mbr>MBRFIX.EXE /drive 0 listpartitions
# Boot Size (MB) Type
1 47065 7 NTFS or HPFS
2 Yes 143706 191 Unknown
3 0 0 None
4 0 0 None
H:\\mbr>MBRFIX.EXE /drive 0 savembr Indy.bin
H:\\mbr>MBRFIX.EXE /drive 0 fixmbr /vista
H:\\mbr>MBRFIX.EXE /drive 0 /partition 1 setactivepartition
H:\\mbr>MBRFIX.EXE /drive 0 restorembr Indy.bin