Storage System Patterns Wiki Site
By pmonday on Aug 03, 2007
It looks like wikis.sun.com went live, public and "beta" this morning! As a result, I can mention a little experiment I've been working on for deployment and implementation patterns for storage systems
Over the past few months I've been brainstorming about how to capture the substantial community knowledge around implementing storage solutions that are centered around "off the shelf" systems coupled with "off the shelf" software. I will admit the obvious bias towards Sun Systems and using OpenSolaris as the Storage Operating System, but when a pattern is posted there is no reason you can't fork it and add other systems and software implementations.
The space is pretty sparse right now, but you can log in, go to the System Patterns Space, and start editing it, linking things, helping to organize, adding and altering the pattern I put up already (more are in the works), etc...
My plan is to "moderate" the space and hopefully guide it into usefulness, keep the space full of "positive" kharma, and add patterns as my time permits me to experiment in my architecture role (this isn't my full time job).
The first pattern I posted is a reformat of the two part blog posting on ZFS Snapshot and Amazon S3 (Part 1 and Part 2) into a single editable File System Backup to Storage Utility Storage System Pattern.
I will post my partial pattern on zones and MediaWiki over the weekend. I haven't had a lot of time to do the software install in my zones, so any help would be appreciated.
I do have goals for the space, but since its my intent to make this a community site, I'm not particularly interested in my goals if it is morphed into something more useful. Here is what my original set of goals were:
- Create a set of architectural blueprints, recipes and implementations for interesting and non-intuitive storage solutions that start with servers as the primary building block
- Anyone can plug in different implementation or morph the patterns to be more useful
- Let individuals post requests for solutions to a particular problem that others may have seen or are interested in solving with the community
- Try to maintain the space as "problem solution" centric rather than technology-centric
- Make sure links are provided to patterns on the Internet
- Ensure folks using the patterns are encouraged to put notes into the pattern or keep content fresh if things get out of date
Again, I'll be blunt, I love the idea of this being Sun-centric but I have to be honest, I know many of you have solutions that don't include Sun gear, so it would be naive of me to believe a wiki-space would be useful to you if there was some "Sun-gear Only" clause But the power of the Wiki is that when you post a pattern and recipe that uses non-Sun gear, the community can sit and ponder the solution you present and fork a section with a bill-of-goods for Sun Gear heh heh (if it exists, of course).
So, chip-in if you have the time or interest, send me ideas if you don't want to edit the space directly, enjoy the openness! You can also ignore it and it will probably quietly go away some day into the lava field of interesting ideas that got stale and regurgitated as something else