By plocher on Jul 26, 2005
What is it that we expect the ARCs to do?
The ARCs attempt to maximize the effective output of all developers. Some of the ways it does this are
- by eliminating/minimizing inter-project friction
- by ensuring customers can accept present and future releases, and
- by performing systems analysis
Goals of the ARC process's interactions with the products being developed:
- Consistently fulfill our customers' expectations of quality, across product lines and over generations of products.
- Establish the basis for multiple independent engineering projects to develop in parallel
- Provide architectural training and mentoring for developers
The ARCs do this by reviewing the proposed changes to components. These changes need to be proactively understood and committed to by the community before they are integrated into the codebase. The scope and level of such reviews obviously will vary in relationship to the impact of the change, with simple bugfixes getting the least attention and complex feature additions or changes getting the most.