By pgdh on Sep 03, 2009
Probably the first serious code I wrote at Sun was my solution to the "rtelnet" problem (but it was much better than the utility of that name that came with certain TELNET terminal servers). The pty.telnet service allowed system administrators to setup robust, fixed mappings from named pseudo terminal devices to specific ports on specific terminal servers. It became a "UK Consulting Special", which meant people paid real money for it. I alter ported it to Solaris 2, where the dynamically allocated, clone psuedo terminal devices required a dance with symlinks to provide the same functionality. I've got the code still somewhere, if anyone is interested!