By me on Dec 19, 2010
How can an enterprise improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their Knowledge and Community model leveraging semantic technologies and social networking dynamics ?
This was the main question why Sun (Oracle) joint the Kiwi project in 2008.
KiWi is an open-source development platform for building metadata-driven Semantic Social Media and Social Networking application for the Internet and for the Enterprise and is part funded by the European Union under the European Union 7th Framework Programme.
We already had extensive experience on how to implement large scale Enterprise communties trough the implementation of our global social community framework called SunSpace and Community Equity which was used by over 30'000 Sun employees.
Oracle's (Sun) role in the Kiwi project is to validate if and how Social Semantic technologies can be used in large enterprises.
We structured the validation around three main use cases
- Manage Metadata - How can we improve our efficiency in better managing corporate Ontologies/Categories and at the same time leverage the power of tagging/folksonomy?
- Apply Metadata - How can we improve the quality and quantity of metadata?
- Exploit Metadata - How can we improve the effectiveness of enterprise search and expertize discovery by leveraging semantic technologies and metadata?
and voila - we had the Enterprise 2.0 use cases for Kiwi .
1 . Manage Metadata
- Manage corporate taxonomies/categories and tags (folksonomy) using an Ontology Management System
- Maintain Oracle+Sun taxonomies and relate them together where possible
- Investigate Bottom-up (folksonomy) +Top-down (Enterprise Ontology management) governance models
2. Apply Metadata
- Improve existing tag recommendations with semantic-based technologies
- Recommend tags based on:
- Analysis of the document
- Relationships between tags
- User's context (Personalization)
- Tag Equity Value
- Comply with Sun/Oracle annotation practices
- Require usage of controlled taxonomies
- Merge with free tags (concepts)
3. Exploit Metadata
- Allow user to navigate through the content based on pre-defined taxonomies
- Faceted search
- Discover Experts based on their contributions, social value of the content and social networking context
- Personalize search results and recommendations of content, communities, people and metadata/tags
In the next couple of weeks I will publish a series of blog post about the implementations and findings of the three use cases.