Wednesday Oct 20, 2010
Wednesday Oct 06, 2010
By me on Oct 06, 2010
- an open-source development platform for building Semantic Social Media applications
Part founded by the European Union FP 7 program.
Sun (Oracle) is participating in the project.
- Open Source Evangelist Ross Gardler (Vice President Community, Apache Software Foundation) - "Open Source Solutions a Source of Inspiration"
- David Ayers (Free Software Foundation Europe) - "Free Software, why and how it matters"
- Launch of the first Semantic Social Development Platform - KiWi
- Awarding of "KiWi Snow Camp Tickets" to developers at the Party
- Drinks and nibbles - music and visuals - nerds and other nice folk to meet
If you want to think, code, talk, drink and eat KiWi while staring at the stars then join the Kiwi team on this event .
cu you in Vienna
Monday Sep 20, 2010
By me on Sep 20, 2010
The theme of the event was "From Telephony to Communities".
B. Fahrni, CSI Consulting talked about the transition of the business telephony into an integrated (IP-based) multi-channel strategy (pdf - german)
W. Lampart, CSI Consulting give an excellent overview about Social Communities for Enterprises (pdf - german)
P. Schoebi, CNLAB talked about Secure Communities and the associated risks ( pdf - german)
C. Birchler and T.Lüthi, CNLAB, explained the Security Model from the Microsoft MPOS suite (pdf- german).
Then they did an interesting online demo on how to do "man in the middle" attack between Microsoft Outlook Social Connector and Facebook
This was pretty scary....
Last but not least I had the pleasure to talk about Enterprise 2.0 - how to build vibrant communties
This was my first public presentation as an official Oracle employee!
My next presentation will be at the Oracle E2.0 in action event in Zurich on October 19th where
I will talk about "Business Benefits of Enterprise Communities"
and I will share what we have done within Oracle using Oracle WebCenter. Don't miss it and register for this event
<script src="http://b.scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js?c1=7&c2=7400849&c3=1&c4=&c5=&c6="></script> <script src="http://b.scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js?c1=7&c2=7400849&c3=1&c4=&c5=&c6="></script>
Monday May 31, 2010
By me on May 31, 2010
Do you know this guy on the left ? Yepp its me - when I started my career @Sun Microystems (Switzerland) on February 1st 1989.
It has been a fantastic 21 years and 3 month ride.
I had about 14 different positions in Switzerland, SEAME, EMEA and Corporate (and I guess around 16 different managers )
but it was a blast . I met great people allover the world, made a lot of friends, traveled the world (yes Reiser means Traveler) , won big projects, created a lot of cool IP and had a lot a fun..
But most important I could spent my passion, brainpower and energy on my favorite topic
How to build vibrant communities !
- Swiss industry communities (Interactive TV consortium, Smartcard Forum)
- to SEAME solution centers ( I miss all the south european countries and the middle east )
- to EMEA solution practices
- to global solution communities aka mysolutions and AIM KMS
- we could finally design and implement the most exiting global community framework called
SunSpace and Community Equity !
Now its time to say goodbye Sun ... - I will miss you !!
... on the other hand there are great opportunities in front of us . It will be a lot of fun to implement a SunSpace like model @Oracle .... stay tuned .. Peter is coming ..
By me on May 31, 2010
Exactly a year ago we announced the open source version of Community Equity at JavaOne.
Also I had the pleasure to present the SunSpace success at the Atlassian Summit 2009 in San Francsico (and we won the "not just another wiki Charlies award).
At this summit I talked about a possible open source Confluence plugin for Community Equity.
And voilà - here it is
(ok we had a few month delay .. .-) )
The plugin has two main features
Following events are pushed via webservices to the CeQ backend
- PageViewEvent (commented out)
We added 10 Community Equity macros which can be easily added using the Confluence macro builder and they are documents in the Confluence notation guide.
Lets look at a few cool use cases
Show the total and rank of a person's contribution and participation equity AND show a history graph over time
Show the total contributions of a person using a tag cloud for navigation/filtering and a listing for the content.
TopPeople / Top information
Show the Top People and Content of a community.
(Note: the CeQ plugin automatically adds a tag called community:%spacekey% to each information object)
Statistics / Community Health check
This is a new cool functionality in Community Equity release 1.4.
Lets compare the contribution equity history of two communities
There are many other interesting use cases which we have implemented as part of our SunSpace rollout ...
the best is you try it out yourself .. it is very easy
- Install the Community Equity plugin on your local Confluence Wiki.
- For testing you can use the Community Equity demo site (default setting of the plugin)
Tip: add a unique tag e.g. source:mywikiname to the setup - this allows you to filter for your site
WARNING: The Community Equity demo site is public - that means that all information like wiki page name, people name, tags etc. are publicly available!
- Install your own Community Equity Server
Enjoy - Peter
PS: This is my second last blog as a legal Sun employee - check out the next blog post called "SunSet"
Sunday May 30, 2010
By me on May 30, 2010
Today on May 31th 2010 we are proud to release Community Equity Open Source Milestone 1.4.
You can download the latest version here.
Community Equity Statistics Service
There are two new webservices and one new HTML widget which provides Equity and Activity history datasets for People, Content and Tags
You can install the Community Equity plugin for the Atlassian / Confluence wiki product and enjoy following functionality
- dynamic synchronization of Confluence events
- configurable Community Equity server (default: CeQ demo site)
- Community Equity Macros
- installation documentation
We fixed a few bugs and made some performance improvements. Details can be found in the release notes below.
A big thanks goes to:
Raphael Juchli for the implementation of the Community Equity Confluence plugin
Thomas Bruhin for the cool statistics widget implementation
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-206] - Activity Management admin CEQ panel: Cancel all activities button is blocked
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-445] - cancel previous update activity
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-456] - Negative PQ values
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-478] - Ability to handle different customers
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-452] - Information List and Tag Cloud still a bit slow
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-444] - Implement Time Bound Equity Statistics
- COMMUNITY_EQUITY-383] - confluence sync plugin
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-388] - Widget refactoring for Milestone 1.3
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-114] - Provide scheduling for daily aging process
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-397] - myConnect widget and webservices need to support jsonP (Remote webservices)
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-442] - Add metadata of information object for view action
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-447] - add rating events
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-448] - Add CEQ widgets as macros
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-450] - creation date is wrong
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-460] - Implement Statistics widget
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-474] - Development SSO integration concept
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-479] - Concept for handling multiple clients
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-486] - implement daily caching
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-487] - Implement statstics web service
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-488] - Implement cache calculation script
Monday Feb 15, 2010
By me on Feb 15, 2010
On Friday February 12th 2009 we released Community Equity Open Source Milestone 1.3.
You can download the latest version here.
Do you want to see Community Equity in action ? Just go to our demo site , register and try it out !
The main features of this release are :
The calculation of the Equity values is now implemented as an offline and non- blocking process. This drastically improves performance and allows to process the mathematical calculation on different machines.
All widgets are now supporting JSONP for remote embedding into any websites. In addition the topPeople widget now supports the ranking of people based on Contribution Equity, Participation Equity and Total Equity.
We fixed over 50 bugs. Details can be found in the release notes below.
A big thanks goes to:
Dmitry Ryashchentsev for the implementation of the CeQ Offline Sync.
Mihai Radulescu for the EJB core enhancements and for the CeQ/Kiwi integration.
Release Notes Community Equity Milestone 1.3
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-166] - process equity computation offline / non blocking
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-152] - tag cloud widget, tags defined in widget init can be unselected
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-194] - configure sso login/logout URL for e2
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-214] - Listing widget only shows creation date, not updated-on date
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-258] - Listing widgets (and others?) have to large max width
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-271] - Message Board: thumbs up counts as one star rating (-10), thumbs up does not count at all
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-288] - Facebook connect does not check if application has been deleted on Facebook
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-338] - add application admin panel to CEQ admin screens
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-340] - no clear when and if a user is added to the person_group ACL table
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-348] - inter widget communication: clear tag cloud does not reset widgets
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-349] - jquery overlay hack only works the first time
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-356] - wiki page link is invalid
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-357] - tag cloud: when click on more and then less - more option dissapears
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-359] - Home page and picture URL is wrong
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-373] - when information is created via view activity the community tag is not written
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-387] - When a feed is re-read, many information objects receive update content activities, even if they are not updated
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-406] - Math Unit Testing are not compiling
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-408] - extend year range for Activity Admin from 2007 until 2012
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-417] - getting UNKOWN activties with Offline sync
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-425] - Facebook connect does not work anymore
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-428] - TagEquity calculated doubled ?
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-430] - Update tags add points setup
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-432] - javax.jms.JMSException: createSession on JMSService:jmsdirect failed for connectionId:5626163660180076032 due to unkown JMSService server error
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-129] - safari, overlay background image viewed on button of current page, opened overlay can not be closed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-178] - (safari) listing - & rating widget, an empy overlay window is always shown over the widget itself
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-204] - round TQ values in tag cloud overlay
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-211] - no way to hide tags from tagcloud
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-242] - avoid usage of System.out.println(), use Logger.log()
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-261] - Information Listing : order by equity does not work
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-262] - Top People Widget: nItemsCount parameter does not work
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-264] - Top CEQ widgets: need to add clear action from tag cloud
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-315] - parse error with cliqset activtiy stream feed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-316] - can the feedtype automatically deteced (e.g. ATOM or Activity Streams)
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-319] - add defaul controlled tag source:<Application_NAME> for each feed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-321] - User Home page is wrong
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-322] - Infornation Object URL is mapped to activity URL instead to unique Information Object URL
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-323] - Author not set corretly with SunSpace ATOM feed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-326] - activity message for change author is wrong
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-333] - ACL still wrong with latest deployment e.g. can't see info listing content
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-345] - Add per-user, per-application aliases for mapping feed entries to users
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-346] - Generate activity:context objects for group activity
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-358] - feed import: ignores unique information_key
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-364] - add top particpation equity widgets
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-365] - top people widget: logged in user is always shown in rank 11 even if he has higher rank e.g. 15
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-369] - add feed in GF admin panel: overlay is not closing after adding a feed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-374] - attachments via cliqset feed have no title
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-375] - personal feeds implementation
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-377] - user mapping administration
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-382] - cliqset: contributor ignored in feed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-392] - support multiple use of the same widgets (broken with latest jquery version)
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-409] - JMS tuning
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-419] - rating widget blocks when large feed import is running
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-420] - Use a separate ID generator table for CEQ math objects
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-424] - Implemented more granular transaction model for feed
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-191] - Community mapping
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-267] - Skip Authentication filter when using secured (peer-to-peer) web services
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-395] - Automatically start period feed polling on deployment
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-400] - Add option to ignore feed entries by authors other than the feed owner (e.g. ignore Facebook friend entries)
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-347] - add anonymous user read access as default to mysql script
- [COMMUNITY_EQUITY-370] - add GF extensions to mysql init script
Friday Jan 29, 2010
Thursday Nov 26, 2009
By me on Nov 26, 2009
Mein erster Blog Eintrag in Deutsch . Ich wurde von Christian Walter bezueglich ECM und Enterprise 2.0 interviewed.
Anbei der Artikel
Aus dem Web 2.0 wird im Unternehmensumfeld Enterprise 2.0. Dabei soll mit viel Gedankengut aus den
Social Networks das Wissensmanagement in den Unternehmen revolutioniert werden. Ob diese Loesungen
den Markt aber jenseits von transnationalen Firmen erobern koennen, ist noch unklar. von Christian Walter.
By me on Nov 26, 2009
is now enabled !
Thanks to Olof Tjerngren who wrote the extension !
We already using this version for our Communtiy Equity implementation
You can try it out on the CeQ demo site .
Also here is an example on how we calculate the top contributors and top notices using Community Equity
Here is the instruction how to configure the status.net activitystrea.ms extension
The merge request is number #2217
To activate (the only required setting):
Changing the value used for person id:
$config[‘activitystream’][‘id_field’] = ‘email’ | ‘profileurl’ | ‘nickname’ | ‘tag’.
Change default number of entries to include (default 50):
Switch to querying all tables - pretty useless:
The stream is on /activitystream/all and takes a few alternate parameter:
Number of entries to include
Entries on this date or newer.
Number of days to include
Tuesday Nov 24, 2009
By me on Nov 24, 2009
- create: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- update_content http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- update_meta_data: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- update UserGroup: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- update Community : http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- update Person: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- delete information (type of),group,community,user: http://community-equity.org/schema/1.0/delete
- deleteUserGroup: http://community-equity.org/schema/1.0/delete
- delete Community http://community-equity.org/schema/1.0/delete
- delete Person http://community-equity.org/schema/1.0/delete
- share information: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/share
- favorite: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/favorite
- unfavorite: http://community-equity.org/schema/1.0/unfavorite
- view/download: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/play
- comment information: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/post
- view/download information: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/play
- tag information http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/tag
- join group: http://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/join
- leave group: http://community-equity.org/schema/1.0/leave
Currently the activitystrea.ms standard does not support "negative" actions like delete, unfavorite etc.. , so we decided to use our own name space
Supported information types
- Attachments ( documents ,video,photos)
- Wiki Page
- Web Page
- Blog Post
We have tested the implementation with following activitystrea.ms enabled sites
- Facebook using the CeQ site connect widget
- status.net software with an activitystream.ms extension implemented by Olof Tjerngren
Monday Nov 16, 2009
By me on Nov 16, 2009
I am very happy to announce the availability of the milestone 1.2 of the Community Equity open source project.
Milestone 1.2 release description
activitystrea.ms support - read and process activitystrea.ms enabled sites and feeds
Glassfish WebSpace Server 10 and Liferay Portal integration
- plugin to capture all social events
- supports web pages, blogs, bookmarks, wiki , forum, attachments , polls content types
- all Ceq widgets integrated as portlets
- CeQ administration integration
- Single Sign on
- Tagging and rating events
Bug fixes and improvements
- Performance improvement
- Application management
- Bug Fixes
James Falkner - for the activitystrea.ms reader implementation Olof Tjerngren - for the activitystrea.ms implementation for status.net
Just watch enclosed video to get a quick overview about Community Equity and the new functionality.
Tuesday Nov 03, 2009
Monday Sep 28, 2009
By me on Sep 28, 2009
I am asked by several people and organizations to provide a summary description about our work around Community Equity and SunSpace. Instead publishing individual responses I thought its more efficient to write a blog post. So here we go ..
Over the last 8 years our team @ Sun has been tasked to build vibrant technical communities.
During this time - the name of the organization changed from Knowledge Management to Intellectual Capital management to Community Enablement.
It does not really matter would you call it - the most important lesson we learned is
It's all about people - adoption - valueThis does not mean that architecture, tools and technologies are not important. But you can build the coolest (social) site and community platform and tools - but what if the users don't use it ?
We spent a lot of time to learn and research what people motivates to contribute and participate in communities and developed a simple but efficient model on
How to build vibrant communities
Value System -What is in it for me
Behavior of people are highly influenced by the perceived value. Each vibrant community has its specific value system.
Example: A manager has two people reporting to him - a sales rep and a technical engineer.
He ask both the question: " Next calendar year - you can choose between a.) to get 5% more salary or b.) working an a cool project."
Guess what the sales rep will pick versus the technical engineer .
Based on this findings we created a Method and System for tracking Social Capital (Community Equity). Community Equity has been deployed as part of Sun's internal Social Community platform called SunSpace and is in production since July 2008. In July 2009 Sun open sourced Community Equity under the BSD license.
In SunSpace we implemented various Tips and Tricks on how to show the values to the users
- myEquity widget showing the values and ranking of a person on their myProfile (Facebook like component of SunSpace)
- all contributions of a person are automatically aggregated on a users myProfile
- Top Contributors widgets
- Specific "honored" community roles displayed on their MyProfile page
- Recognition programs
Example of the Community Equity widgets can be found here
Methodology - Adoption
Communities don' t just work. The creation and sustaining of communities needs active facilitation.
As part of the SunSpace deployment we created a Community cookbook which covers following topics
- Community overview (CoP,project teams, social networks ...)
- Community build (roles,responsibilities,measures, getting started)
- Active Community management (facilitation tips & tricks, health check )
- Scalability (community driver model, self supporting communities)
A good example of best practices can be found on the Onestop blog .
Architecture - Federated Services
From an Enterprise 2.0 perspective a secure and federated services architecture should be designed to allows to deploy and consume (any) internal or external services.
ohh - and don't forget to enable the architecture for all the emerging Mashup's .
An explanation about the SunSpace architecture can be found here
so - where is the proof of the pudding?
The implementation of SunSpace has been proven to be successful . Since we launched SunSpace in July 2008 we have
- > 25'000 users
- 10 time growth within six month
- > 500 communities
- > 130'000 content objects (wiki pages, attachments etc.)
- > 5.5 million social activities
- consolidation of 3 existing knowledge management tools (aka shutdown these sites )
Wednesday Sep 23, 2009
By me on Sep 23, 2009
More information can be found on http://blogs.sun.com/innovation/entry/community_equity
About Enterprise 2.0,Community Equity, Semantic Web, Social Enterprise and how to Build Vibrant Communities
- From Reiser 2.0 to SocialAdoption
- WebCenter Customer Spotlight: University of Louisville
- SunSpace - a sentimental moment
- Oracle Social @ OpenWorld
- Oracle Social Network -The Social Glue for Enterprise Applications
- WebCenter Customer Spotlight: Organization of America States
- WebCenter Customer Spotlight: ArRiaydh Development Authority
- Social Inside Strategy workshop @CAS IT Spotlight-day
- WebCenter Customer Spotlight: American Home Mortgage
- WebCenter in action @ SocialNow conference