Here comes the OpenSolaris 2008.11 release!
By pengyang on Dec 11, 2008
OpenSolaris 2008.11 is released, after 6 months of hard Work/contributions from the OpenSolaris community and developers from different groups. It has been up and running on my bare metal laptop for several weeks. I'm really impressed by the improvement of it over the last release. It contains a lot of features that I wanted deadly, especially Power Suspend/Resume and NWAN. Also, as I've mentioned in the previous post, lots of useful desktop applications (Firefox 3.0.4/Songbird/XChat for example) have been integrated into this release along with GNOME 2.24.
First of all, I'd still want to highlight Songbird a little bit in this post. It got a huge attention from the open source community as I can see on digg. 0.7.0 has been integrated, run "pfexec pkg install SUNWsongbird" to install it from the repository. 1.0.0 is on the way. Please stay tune. And most of the cool features can be found in this great screencast. Thanks for the awesome efforts from Steve and the Songbird team. The first-run bundles for OpenSolaris x86 users are ready - so you should be getting prompted to download the GStreamer plugin as well as the SHOUTcast, Concerts, mashTape, and Last.fm add-ons now.
As you might notice, there have already been some great posts about different parts of this fantastic release. I'd still like to choose some of them to share with you.
- What's new about OpenSolaris 2008.11 and the screencast.
- Glynn's nice highlight on the release.
- Time Slider screencast from Erwann.
- What's new from the install part.
- A little bit history for OpenSolaris release.
- pkgFactory/Roboporter: the infrastructure for better package contribution.
- Port FOSS package to OpenSolaris /pending and /contrib repository.
- How to upgrade from old versions.
- The improvement from the pkg(5) part.
- Mirror IPS repository.
- Some link collection as well.
And many more posts as well. So please don't hesitate to grab the release and try it.