Firefox 2.0 new features
By pengyang on Oct 12, 2006
Firefox 2.0 RC2 has been available for a while. And we're trying to put Firefix 2.0 into Solaris11 as soon as possible. The Solaris build for Firefox2.0rc2 can be found here. From the user's point of view , there are some big changes to it to compare with Firefox1.5. You can click here to get a quick overview. And I'll also give some of my opinions below:
1. The Preferences dialog has changed a lot. All the options are reorganized and put into different categories. For example, The "Connection" setting is moved to "Advanced->Network", the "Downloads" category has been removed completely and moved to "Main". The user will need some time to get use to the changes.
2. The improvement of the look and feel. Firefox2.0 gave me a great impression on the first sight, such as the glow and fade effects of the buttons and labels. In the later candidate process, there are some other improvement ahead.
3. Session restore. This must be a wonderful improvement for some crashes. The crashes of Firefox1.5 mean that you lost every pages you have. It's a disaster sometimes. But now, Firefox2.0 can help you resume all the information. Isn't that great?
4. Inline spell checking. Spell checking is an important feature for email composing. As the popularity of the blog, wiki and some other stuff, it becomes more and more important for the web browser. Now I'm sitting in front of my SPARC, taking advantage of this cool feature.:-)
5. Tab browsing enhancement. The most obvious feature is that each label has a close button now. Closing the wrong tab can be avoided, and the History menu can also help to reopen the accidentally closed one.
All the above features are the ones I like most. There are also some Web Feeds and security improvement. If you're interested, feel free to have a try.;-)