Friday Oct 16, 2009
Monday Oct 12, 2009
By pelegri on Oct 12, 2009
I've gone to many JavaOne conferences at the Moscone Center but today was my first experience of a Oracle OpenWorld. I was very curious and I found the experience very interesting. Although the two conferences are in the same physical space, the two experiences are very different.
I only have an "exhibitor" pass, so I've not been able to attend any of the technical sessions but, with those caveats, below are some observations; feel free to add additional observations as comments to this entry. Also check my Flickr set.
OOW is significantly larger in attendance.
I've heard about 40K-45K; J1 was, at its peak, 20-25K (afair).
• OOW uses not just Moscone North and South, but also West, and they close Howard street.
• The tent is an integral part of the event, used for lunches, drinks and as a lounge.
• The dress code at OOW are suits... and very few body piercings :-)
• Most attendees at OOW seem to use (smart)phones to stay connected (to their admin assistants?).
• The (internet cafe-like) area with stations to check email / browse at OOW is much smaller than at J1
• The expo and keynote areas are reversed between Moscone South and North.
• The Expo at OOW is very busy, with all the big names in SIs, hardware, software, etc.
• No more bean bags at the bottom of the stairs.
• The developer track is 6 blocks away, at the San Francisco Hilton.
Really, the two conferences can't be more different. Also check out some pictures I took.
Sunday Oct 11, 2009
By pelegri on Oct 11, 2009
One of Scott's phrases is Kick Butt and Have Fun. I just finished listening to Scott and Larry (and John and James) at the Sunday Keynote at Oracle OpenWorld, and it is clear that Larry subscribes to "Kick Butt" - he fired a lot of shots at IBM, like Scott used to do... A sample of Larry's style is the Exadata Challenge.
The recordings of the keynote seem to be posted within a day of the event; for example, this morning's keynote is already available. To find them, go to the OpenWorld Live site, wait for the channel to start playing, then go to the menu and select from there.
- Time to Move On
- A Retrospective on The Aquarium
- Eclipse Community Survey - Hudson, EJBs, Spring, GlassFish, GIT, and more
- Happy 5th BDay, GlassFish
- How Many Followers does Whole Foods Have... and other Twitter Numbers
- Oracle Style - Ads
- Oracle OpenWorld - A Guide for JavaOne Folks
- Kick Butt... and Have Fun!
- GlassFish Adoption Stats - Sep 2009 Update
- GlassFish Adoption Stats - May 2009 Update
No bookmarks in folder