Jive Forums Gold 5 on GlassFish
By paulsen on Apr 03, 2006
In an earlier entry I wrote about Security Manager woes when I attempted to install Jive Forums from Jive Software. Many applications (including Jive Forums) require privileges that may be considered "unsafe" in some environments -- Java's security manager allows administrators to control the settings ensure applications don't write to disk, send email, load unsafe classes, etc. However, this can get in the way when a user attempts to install trusted software, yet the server doesn't have security properly configured (and it's not easy to properly configure).
GlassFish has changed. It no longer enables the security manger by default. This is consitent with most other application servers and makes deploying applications (such as Jive Forums) much easier. Here's what I had to do when installing Jive Forums Gold 5 on GlassFish (build 42):
- Download Jive Forums files (server + license file) (Find it on: Jive Software's web site)
- Copy jiveHome to a new directory
- Copy the license file into the new diretory; name it jive.license
- Start GlassFish (i.e. asadmin start-domain)
- Go to GlassFish's Admin GUI: http://localhost:4848
- Applications -> Web Applications -> Deploy
- Upload "jiveforums.war"
- Select options (defaults are fine)
- Go to the application (I clicked on "Launch" button in Admin GUI)
- Message states jiveHome is not set. Type in the correct path (the new directory from step 2). Click the update button.
- Click continue (everything should have a "success" check now).
- Choose embedded DB (you may want something else), click continue.
- Click continue (db should be configured properly).
- I picked "Default" for authentication. Click continue.
- Setup your email server settings. Click continue.
- Setup your admin user. Click continue.
- Setup should be complete, click "Login to Admin Tool"
- I logged in as "admin" / "<admin-password>"...