By Parnian Taidi-Oracle on Jun 07, 2016
The first US state to deliver a complete portfolio of citizen services in the Cloud, Texas is the leader in Open Government. With a "my government, my way" promise, Texas relies on Oracle to help 30+ agencies deliver services to nearly 30M citizens. It creates economies and efficiencies to deploy large frames that departments couldn’t otherwise afford. Departments are seeing a reduction of 20-35% of costs by the move to the Cloud. These agencies depend on Oracle Exadata and SuperCluster for Database as a Service in their Cloud.
Alejandro Farias is a Financial Analyst in one of these agencies: the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD). He enthusiastically shared their great experience using SAS with Cloud DBaaS running on Oracle SuperCluster at SAS Global Forum 2016. Some of the main points he covered were:
- Their transition to the cloud
- How they used SAS and Oracle to bring better services and accountability to the citizens of Texas
- Lessons learned on performance tips and efficiencies
- Insight into the necessity of having multi-disciplinary skills in today’s organizations
Their solution is based on:
- SAS Business Intelligence Server 9.4
- Oracle SuperCluster T5-8
- Oracle Solaris 11
- Oracle Database 11g
- Oracle E-BIZ Financials 11.5.10-2
- Oracle Solaris Zones which provide fine grained virtualization
Greater Performance, Greater Services, Greater Accountability
Their efforts have really paid off and they are seeing fantastic results that enables them to provide better service to Texas residents.
- DB user response times improved
- Performance leveled as additional agencies came on-line
- Resource management prioritization
- Advanced reconciliation reporting :
o Days to minutes
o Journal and accounting smart matching
o Incorporated validation and integrity checkpoints
More on the State of Texas cloud enabled services here.