Acer Aspire One and OpenSolaris B100a, Realtek, Atheros, SDCard and Video : Part 3
By David Clack on Oct 19, 2008
Realtek, Atheros, SDCard and Video
In general when testing a new system, whether desktop, server or laptop, I start by trying to get the video working first, then Lan and Wifi followed by the other devices.
I'm an old Linux guy so I always ln -s /usr/X11/bin/scanpci /usr/bin/lspci
The lspci gives me a list of all the PCI vendor and product IDs that Solaris X86 or OpenSolaris see's, sometimes the driver already is in the OS, but does not have an entry in /etc/driver_alises.
Today I did a complete initial install and configuration in a single process.
I had previously used Partition Magic to halve the Windows XP Home partition.
So after installing SXDE B100a using option 4 so I can select ZFS.
After the system reboots the X server fails to come up these are the steps I use.
1. Copy the Intel and Atheros drivers of ftp://188.8.131.52/pub/
- directory file
2. gtar xvfj the files
3. pkgadd -d SUNWatheros
4. update_drv -a -i '"pci168c,1c"' ath
5. cd atom-binaries/32
6. cp i915, agpgart and agptarget into /kernel/drv
7. cp drm and agpmaster into /kernel/misc
8. update_drv -a -i '"pci8086,27a6"' i915
9. update_drv -a -i '"pci8086,27ac"' agptarget
10. Create the xorg.conf from my other blog in /etc/xorg.conf
11. add the audio into the system update_drv -a -i '"pci8086,27d8"' audiohd
12. Remove the sdcard driver it's just getting in the way right now, pkgrm SUNWsdcard, hopefully we can fix this soon
13. shutdown the cde if running SXDE svcadm disable cde-login
14. start up gnome desktop if on SXDE and reboot
svcadm enable gdm: init 6
just init 6
You should have 1024x600 desktop with rge0 and ath0, plus audio, webcam just works with ekiga and cheese
This is my /etc/power.conf
# Copyright 1996-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#pragma ident "@(#)power.conf 2.1 02/03/04 SMI"
# Power Management Configuration File
device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
# Auto-Shutdown Idle(min) Start/Finish(hh:mm) Behavior
autoshutdown 30 9:00 9:00 noshutdown
I'm working on suspend next.
shift+F5 should jump you between lcd, externel and both on at same time
I tested doing this without having the external monitor plugged in at boot time and OpenSolaris actually found it without problem.