By Dilbagh on Dec 11, 2014
With the launch of Windows 7 Operating system, Microsoft has ceased to support CAPICOM DLL. CAPICOM is an ActiveX control used to digitally sign data, display certificates from browser and to encrypt and decrypt data. In Oracle Workflow Notification System, CAPICOM has been used to digitally sign Notification data in Workflow Notifications. This is only used when signing a workflow notification from Internet Explorer. Now that this DLL is not included in Windows 7 and further versions of Windows OS, the signing process of a Workflow Notification, requiring certificate based signature, errors out with the following message:
"Verification of signature has failed"
Oracle Workflow provides a solution to this issue. The patch numbers for obtaining this solution on the following code-lines are as follows:
- Release 126.96.36.199RUP - 18921580
- Release 12.1.3 - 18921687:R12.OWF.B
- Release 12.2.3 - 19410235:R12.OWF.C
Due to the removal of dependency on an ActiveX control, there are certain subliminal changes in the user interface for signing a workflow notification. The following are two changes:
1. Change in the look of Certificate Selection window. The list of certificates to be selected are now loaded in an Applet. This is as shown below:
2. A small time lag after clicking on Sign button. A informative message conveying the same is displayed. The screenshot of the same is as shown below.Please wait for the applet to be loaded after clicking on "Sign". There would be an applet loaded as shown in earlier image a user can select certificate for signing the notification data.
Apart from these negligible changes, the whole signing experience is in parity with that which existed before Windows 7 plus Internet Explorer as browser.