Wednesday May 25, 2016
Monday Feb 15, 2016
By dananicula-Oracle on Feb 15, 2016
Friday May 15, 2015
By Jstiles-Oracle on May 15, 2015
By Brad Herren, Senior Principal Instructor, Oracle University
If 100 questions are asked during a week-long WebLogic class, about 75 of them will be about Node Manager.
It's interesting - people come to the class with WebLogic experience, yet have no idea what this Node Manager thing is or does.
A common misconception about Node Manager is that it actually does more than it does (a few people think it doesn't do half of what it actually does). Basically, you can use Node Manager to start your servers, while also involving it in the shutting down side of your servers.
The big value: if Node Manager started the server and the server crashes, or the server fails for some reason, it will automatically restart that failed server.
Make a WebLogic domain interact with Node Manager: 11g versus 12c
In a multiple host environment, let's say we've got two computers with our WebLogic installation on both of them and we have domains scattered across the two hosts.
From the admin console, an application that runs on a WebLogic admin server, the admin server is able to figure out how to get a computer started over here on a remote host. We accomplish this remotely with the Node Manager utility.
In a multi-host environment, we would have Node Managers on both hosts, such as Node Manager on Host01 and a Node Manager on Host02, running out of port 5556. And again, assuming you went with the default configuration, they would both be sitting here, specific to each host. That's how we did it in WebLogic 11g.
Version 12c introduced a new way of handling this, where the Node Manager is now domain-specific. Instead of running out of WebLogic home, the Node Manager will run out of the Domain Home. It's still going to the be the same JVM used to run out of WebLogic Home, but now the Node Manager is domain-specific and the domain would be configured to interact with Node Manager.
Failed servers and stuck threads
Node Manager can help with failed servers due to stuck threads (thread running 10 minutes or longer) and out-of-memory exceptions. If stuck threads are caused by faulty code, configure WebLogic server to have the server "kill" itself after a defined number of threads.
Node Manager can restart the server to solve the issue. In the webinar, you will see how Node Manager starts a server and how it restarts a failed server. With a free simulation application, StuckThreadForFree, you can get Node Manager to restart failed servers by creating a simple "kill" of the process and a server with stuck threads.
I hope you can join me for the full webinar, when I will demonstrate a server start/restart/shutdown flow with Node Manager, as discussed in this post. The webinar, WebLogic's Most Misunderstood Feature, is available through Oracle Learning Streams.
Wednesday Sep 11, 2013
Cloud Application Foundation – The #1 Application Foundation Across Conventional and Cloud Environments
By Breanne Cooley on Sep 11, 2013
Is your company looking to:
- Introduce new products faster?
- Reduce costs?
- Increase productivity?
Cloud Computing Can Help You Meet these Goals
Oracle’s Cloud Application Foundation provides a unified platform across conventional and Cloud environments, which helps companies deliver next generation applications, simplify operations, accelerate time-to-market, lower total cost of ownership and derive more value from their application infrastructure.
On July 11, 2013 Oracle released Cloud Application Foundation 12c.
We made significant enhancements to key products, including Oracle WebLogic Server 12c, the #1 application server across conventional and cloud environments, and Oracle Coherence 12c, the industry’s leading in-memory grid solution.
Oracle University is your source for training on Oracle’s industry-leading application server product line and next generation application grid products. Oracle University Application Server and Infrastructure training helps you develop the skills that will allow you to:
- Increase the performance and scalability of your organization’s applications and services.
- Simplify deployment and accelerate time-to-market.
- Reduce the time required to develop internet applications.
View video to learn about Oracle's Application Server & Infrastructure Training.
Enroll in Oracle WebLogic Server 12c and Oracle Coherence 12c Training Today
- Oracle WebLogic Server 12c: Administration I - In this course, you will learn how to perform the most important Oracle WebLogic Server 12c administrative tasks.
- Oracle WebLogic Server 12c: Administration II - This course teaches you how to perform important Oracle WebLogic Server 12c administrative tasks. It is the continuation of the Oracle WebLogic Server 12c: Administration I course.
- Oracle WebLogic Server 12c: JMS Administration - Learn how to create and administer JMS resources on standalone servers and clusters.
- Oracle Coherence 12c: New Features - This course covers the new product features and enhancements added with the release of Coherence 3.1 and Coherence 12c. It is intended for the developer familiar with Coherence 3.6
Visit education.oracle.com/appserver to view all Application Server and Infrastructure courses and certification details.
-Jerilyn Stiles, Oracle University Principal Curriculum Product Manager
Oracle University is THE trusted provider of quality, expert Oracle training & certification.
All training is delivered by our Elite global team of Oracle experts and made available in multiple learning formats for anytime, anywhere training.
Delivery methods include:
- Traditional classroom,
- Live Virtual Class,
- Oracle Learning Subscriptions,
- Training On Demand.
For buying confidence all our training is backed by the unique 100% student satisfaction guarantee.
Subscribe to the Latest Oracle University Blog Posts by Email
Oracle University Website
Subscribe to Oracle Training Newsletters
Oracle Certification Blog
- How Companies Are Using Big Data
- The Big Picture on Big Data
- New PeopleSoft Training for Technical & Implementation Teams - Now Available!
- NEW Security Learning Subscription – Preview for FREE Now!
- Why is Java the Most Popular Programming Language?
- New Oracle VM Server for x86 Training: Now Available!
- Low Unemployment Numbers Point to an IT Talent Shortage
- Oracle Utilities - A Training Solution for Your Implementation Team
- New Courses, Learning Subscriptions and Certifications for June 2016 - Just Released!
- Going to Oracle OpenWorld or JavaOne? Don’t Miss Out on Oracle Preconference Training!