Friday Sep 18, 2015
Thursday Jun 18, 2015
By Diana.H. Gray-Oracle on Jun 18, 2015
Written by Eva Chase, Senior Global Marketing Manager, Oracle Certification
The May 2015 edition of Certification Magazine describes the current climate for those with a career in database management. It explores how these professionals are expected to manage massive amounts of data.
“Database managers (often referred to as database administrators) are key in ensuring that the information is organized, stored and protected in secure database systems.”
-Mary Kyle, freelance writer and certified Project Manager Professional
Mary goes into great detail about the job responsibilities and skills modern-day database administrators need to excel, as these jobs are evolving with the growing economy.
Projected job growth is expected to rise 15% from now until 2022, bringing numerous opportunities in the job market for the following positions:
- Database architects
- Database designers
- Database analysts
- Database developers
- Database administrators (DBAs)
- Data warehouse specialists (especially in the areas of data mining or business intelligence)
At Oracle, we know these roles and the skills required to fill them. We’re excited about what’s coming into play for DBAs and the associated roles.
We offer training and certification designed to prepare you for these types of database career paths. Securing an Oracle Database Certification prepares you with the skills and capabilities needed to get hired.
Oracle certifications are highly regarded in the tech industry. Oracle University has certified close to 2 million people to date!
View our Oracle Certification website and start by identifying your Oracle Database Certification career path.
Oracle Certified Professionals not only get hired; they also gain confidence that they can excel on the job.
Join our community of DBA certified professionals. We can help you prepare for your exams with Oracle Database training options.
Discount packages for Oracle certifications & training are also available.
Monday Apr 20, 2015
By Diana.H. Gray-Oracle on Apr 20, 2015
Written by Maria Billings, Senior Principal Curriculum Developer
Do you want to advance your career, but never know beforehand when you might have time for training?
Try Oracle University’s Training On Demand or TOD curriculum. You can watch recorded classroom and hands-on sessions in smaller or larger increments as it fits into your schedule.
For Database Vault
- Do you sometimes need to prove that you couldn't possibly have seen confidential information, although you are a highly privileged DBA?
- Did you know that the Oracle Database 12c has a Database Vault option already installed, ready to be enabled, if your organization decides to use it?
- What is Database Vault?
Vault TOD Training
is composed of several components, including realms, rule sets, command rules,
secure application roles and factors that can be highly customized or simply
used out-of-the box.
A realm, for example, is a zone of protection for tables, roles, and packages. A realm protects the objects in it from users exercising system privileges, such as SELECT ANY TABLE. So, any such privileged user must be defined as a realm participant (or have a realm-participating role that is granted to him or her) to access the protected objects.
If you are not a realm participant or owner, you can show that a query of a realm-protected table will result in the "ORA-01031: insufficient privileges" error. In short, you can prove you couldn't have possibly seen the confidential content.
The course "Using Oracle Database Vault with Oracle Database 12c" TOD training goes into all the necessary details to show you:
- How to reduce the attack surface for potential security breaches through limiting privileges.
- How to perform security analysis and report security vulnerabilities.
- How to configure and maintain Database Vault elements.
- How to implement best practices, which begins by identifying YOUR security requirements.
You can then see samples of building and documenting security implementations, and you view or discuss sample use cases, such as the workflow of an application DBA, dual key security, dynamic auditing, and so on.
Thursday Feb 19, 2015
By hamsun-Oracle on Feb 19, 2015
What can a certification do for you? And more importantly (as far as the writers here are concerned), what can Oracle Certification in Java or Oracle Database do for you? There are many opinions on this topic and, rightfully so, opinions vary so we’re happy to share some findings from recent studies that show the increasing value of certifications in a marketplace where demand for skilled Java and Oracle Database continues to rise.
Learn more about Oracle’s certification exams and view the certification paths at certification.oracle.com.
Tuesday Jan 06, 2015
By Diana.H. Gray-Oracle on Jan 06, 2015
Develop the additional skills you need and benefit from all that Oracle Database 12c has to offer.
"With Oracle Database In-Memory, you decide what data goes into memory - with no limits or restraints from software. The rest of your data is stored in less-expensive Flash or on disk. Oracle Database In-Memory works seamlessly with them all,"Jeff Erickson, Oracle Product Management.
Database-In Memory Training: What Will I Learn?
Dominique Jeunot, Oracle University Curriculum Developer, elaborates on the New Oracle Database In-Memory feature:
"The Oracle Database In-Memory option is a solution for accelerated database-driven business decision-making to real-time speeds. Unlike specialized approaches that are restricted to particular workloads or applications, the unique approach of Oracle Database In-Memory leverages a new in-memory column store format to speed up analytic, data warehousing, and reporting, while also accelerating transaction processing (OLTP) workloads."
Dominique was instrumental in helping develop our recently launched Oracle Database 12c: New Features for Administrators Ed 2 course.
In this course, you'll learn about the new and enhanced features and options of Oracle Database 12c. Expert instructors will teach you how these features and options strengthen security, manageability and overall performance.
- Manage the Oracle multi-tenant container database and pluggable databases.
- Configure Heat Map and use Automatic Data Optimization.
- Benefit from Online Datafile Move.
- Understand the new temporal capabilities, as well as in-Database Archiving with Row-archival.
- Enforce security with the Unified Auditing, the new administrative privileges, Privilege memory Caching and the automatic Big Table caching features.
- Benefit from optimizer enhancements, including Adaptive Execution Plans and SQL Plan Directives, Real-Time ADDM and Compare Period ADDM.
- Use enhanced features of Resource Manager in multi-tenant container databases and pluggable databases.
Additional Oracle Database 12c Training can be found at education.oracle.com/database12c.
Friday Nov 07, 2014
By Jim Vonick-Oracle on Nov 07, 2014
At Oracle University, we work hard to ensure that our training and certification portfolio is current and relevant to your needs.
Here's a summary of what we anticipate will be popular new courses. Courses can be taken either in the classroom or online, depending on what works best with your schedule.
Top New Courses for November
- Oracle Database 12c: New Features for Administrators Self-Study Course
- Oracle Database 12c: Install and Upgrade Self-Study Course
- Oracle Database 12c: Administration Workshop Self-Study Course
- Oracle Golden Gate 12c: Troubleshooting and Tuning
- Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g: Develop ADF Mobile Applications
- Oracle Middleware 12c: Build Rich Client Applications with ADF
- Oracle BigMachines Yellow Belt for the Business User
- R12.2 Oracle Inventory Management Fundamentals
- R12.2 Oracle Subledger Accounting Fundamentals
- PeopleSoft Integration Tools I Rel 8.53
Explore all of Oracle's training and certification offerings at education.oracle.com.
Tuesday Nov 04, 2014
By Kjones-Oracle on Nov 04, 2014
Oracle Database 12c is on its way to becoming “the new black” of the Database world, but can you demonstrate your expertise with this groundbreaking database release?
Let's take a closer look.
Top 5 Reasons to Upgrade Your Oracle Database Certification
5. Enterprises are adopting the latest release of the world’s #1 Database to manage critical and complex workloads. Release 220.127.116.11 includes the anticipated Oracle Database In-Memory feature,which accelerates the performance of Oracle Database applications.
4. Developing Oracle Database skills leads to higher average salaries for DBAs, according to the 2015 Robert Half International Salary Guide for North America.
3. There is now only ONE exam you need to pass to upgrade your OCP certification(s) to the latest release (no matter which release you're certified on). Yes, you heard us right! Only ONE exam.
2. Oracle recently announced new requirements for re-certification. Get ahead of your expiration date by upgrading your certification today.
1. Purchase an Upgrade Certification Discount Package to save 20% on the training, ePractice exams (where available) and exam vouchers to earn your Oracle Database 12c certification.
Upgrade Your Certification Today - Start by Viewing Exam Details
- Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Professional - upgrade from 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
- Oracle Database 12c Administrator OCP - upgrade from Oracle9i, Oracle Database 10g or 11g DBA OCA
Access Other Helpful Resources
- Blog: FAQs on Upgrading your Certification to Oracle Database 12c
- Webinar: Upgrade Your Certification to Oracle Database 12c (Recorded)
- Certification Discount Packages: If you would benefit from training, purchase it together with the certification exam voucher and save 20%.
Thursday Oct 30, 2014
Instructor Insight: Oracle 12c High Availability New Features - Table Recovery in a GoldenGate Environment
By Breanne Cooley on Oct 30, 2014
By Randy Richeson, Senior Principal Oracle University Instructor
"Students often ask if a table can be recovered to a point in time and whether GoldenGate can capture this recovery. Oracle 12c enables you to recover one or more tables or table partitions to a specified point in time without affecting the remaining database objects.
This new RMAN functionality reduces the recovery scope and possibly the recovery time and disk space requirements when compared with Database point-in-time-recovery, tablespace point-in-time recovery, and various flashback features which were introduced prior to 12c."
Friday Sep 19, 2014
By Diana.H. Gray-Oracle on Sep 19, 2014
Flex Clusters, a new feature of Oracle Clusterware 12c, blows away the previous cluster size limits and lets you:
- Manage large pools of application resources, with high-availability and fail-over protection.
- Efficiently support multiple highly available databases and applications running in a single cluster.
You will see how when you attend Oracle Database 12c: High Availability New Features Training.
Take control with no surprises....learn about policy-based cluster management and what-if command evaluation. These new features of Oracle Clusterware 12c make cluster management easier, more flexible and more reliable.
Consolidate more databases on each cluster...if you use ASM, Flex ASM is a game changer. If you don't then you should use....
Flex ASM, a new feature of Oracle Grid Infrastructure 12c. It removes the requirement to run ASM on every cluster node. Users are transparently protected from ASM failures; organizations can consolidate more databases (or do more work) on each cluster.
You can boost application availability and transact with certainty, without re-engineering your applications.
Application continuity, a new feature of Oracle Database 12c, makes recoverable outages (node failures, process failures, instance failures, transient network failures, transient storage failures, etc.) from applications and end users.
It replays the transactional and non-transactional work that constitutes a database request, while guaranteeing transactions are executed once and only once.
Best of all, application continuity can be leveraged by many existing applications, without changing a line of code.
Get started with Oracle Database 12c: High Availability New Feature training today.
Friday Jun 20, 2014
By Diana.H. Gray-Oracle on Jun 20, 2014
Written by Diana Gray, Principal Curriculum Product Manager, Oracle University
In these economic times, it's important to know where you stand in your occupation and where new opportunities might avail themselves to you.
From time to time, it's wise to review industry data to see how your profession is trending when it comes to salary and job requirements. Doing so will help you ensure that you're on the right path to making the most of your career.
According to a recent study featured on Salary.com, salaries for Oracle database administrators depend on a number of factors:
While Oracle Database administrators skills change depending on your job and expertise, many are responsible for administering, maintaining, developing and implementing policies and procedures. They're also responsible for ensuring the security and integrity of the company’s Oracle Database. They implement data models and database designs, data access and table maintenance codes, resolve Oracle Database performance issues, database capacity issues, replication and other distributed data issues.
Oracle University wants to help you make the most of your career by providing you with up-to-date information from our leading experts.
It’s up to you to seize training opportunities that will help you gain the skills you need to accelerate your career – so take advantage of our new offerings!
Tuesday May 27, 2014
By Breanne Cooley on May 27, 2014
Written by Diana Gray, Principal Curriculum Product Manager, Oracle University
Developing your skills with Oracle Database 12c may not be as hard as you think. Oracle’s expert curriculum developers designed curriculum offerings that can help you determine where you are and where you want to go.
By looking at our Oracle Database 12c Solution page, you can quickly identify what you’ve taken in the past and what you still might require.
Getting up to speed on this new technology is key to being able to access a platform that totally embraces the cloud. These new enhancements will make your job easier as you begin to understand how the new features work together.
Get started with Oracle Database 12c by taking the newly released Oracle Database 12c: New Features for Administrators Self-Study Course
After you download the software, see which training and
certifications are available. Add well-respected credentials of expertise to your
portfolio of learning through Oracle University.
Friday Mar 07, 2014
By Breanne Cooley on Mar 07, 2014
By Diana Gray, Snr. Product Marketing Manager
With more than 500 new features, Oracle Database 12c is designed to give Oracle customers exactly what they’ve told us they need for cloud computing, big data, security and availability.
Why Oracle Database Security?
With Oracle, customers can deploy reliable data security solutions that require no changes to existing applications, saving time and money.
From the outset, Oracle has delivered the industry's most advanced technology to safeguard data at the source - the database. Oracle provides a comprehensive portfolio of security solutions to ensure data privacy, protect against insider threats and enable regulatory compliance for both Oracle and non-Oracle databases.
Oracle's powerful preventative and detective security controls include database activity monitoring and blocking, privileged user and multi-factor access control, data classification and discovery, transparent data encryption, consolidated auditing and reporting, secure configuration management and data masking.
Enroll in Oracle Database 12c: Security Training
In this NEW Oracle Database 12c: Security training course, discover how you can use Oracle Database features to meet the security, privacy and compliance requirements of your organization as you learn to:
- Configure strong authentication for database users using PKI and Kerberos.
- Control data access using virtual private database and Oracle Label Security.
- Analyze application privileges and reduce the attack surface using Oracle Database Vault Privilege Analysis.
- Reduce risk of data exposure using Oracle Advanced Security Data Redaction, Transparent Data Encryption and Oracle Data Masking,
- Audit activity inside the database using policy and condition based unified auditing.
- Configure network encryption to protect information in transit.
- Audit activity inside the database using policy and condition based unified auditing.
- Protect against application bypass using Oracle Database Vault Realms.
Questions or comments about Oracle Database 12c Security Training? We'd love to hear from you in the comments section below.
Tuesday Nov 19, 2013
By Breanne Cooley on Nov 19, 2013
What's new this month at Oracle University? Here are some highlights.
JD Edwards 9.1 Training RightNow Training Primavera Unifier Training Taleo Training New Training and Certification for Oracle Industry
Solutions Oracle Utilities Training Oracle Retail Training New - Oracle Big Data Appliance Courses Oracle Database 12c Courses – Learn What’s New Validate
your expertise and add value by earning an Oracle
Database 12c Certification. New Oracle 12c Courses: ODI, WebLogic
Server, and Coherence Check out the Oracle University website to learn more. See you in class! -Oracle University Marketing Team
The Oracle Linux 5 and 6 System Administration
exam (1Z1-100) is now in beta testing, giving you
the opportunity to take the exam at a discounted rate of only $50 USD. Take the
exam at one of Pearson
VUE's many testing centers worldwide.
JD Edwards 9.1 Training
Primavera Unifier Training
New Training and Certification for Oracle Industry Solutions
Oracle Utilities Training
Oracle Retail Training
New - Oracle Big Data Appliance Courses
Oracle Database 12c Courses – Learn What’s New
Validate your expertise and add value by earning an Oracle Database 12c Certification.
New Oracle 12c Courses: ODI, WebLogic Server, and Coherence
Check out the Oracle University website to learn more. See you in class!
-Oracle University Marketing Team
Tuesday Oct 29, 2013
By Breanne Cooley on Oct 29, 2013
The first time I examined the Oracle Database 12c architecture, I wasn’t quite sure what I thought about the Container Database (CDB). In the current release of the Oracle RDBMS, the administrator now has a choice of whether or not to employ a CDB.
Bundling Databases Inside One Container
In today’s IT industry, consolidation is a common challenge. With potentially hundreds of databases to manage and maintain, an administrator will require a great deal of time and resources to upgrade and patch software. Why not consider deploying a container database to streamline this activity? By “bundling” several databases together inside one container, in the form of a pluggable database, we can save on overhead process resources and CPU time. Furthermore, we can reduce the human effort required for periodically patching and maintaining the software.
Most IT professionals understand the concept of storage, as in solid state or non-rotating. Let’s take one-to-many databases and “plug” them into ONE designated container database. We can minimize many redundant pieces that would otherwise require separate storage and architecture, as was the case in previous releases of the Oracle RDBMS. The data dictionary can be housed and shared in one CDB, with individual metadata content for each pluggable database. We also won’t need as many background processes either, thus reducing the overhead cost of the CPU resource.
Improve Security Levels within Each Pluggable Database
We can now segregate the CDB-administrator role from that of the pluggable-database administrator as well, achieving improved security levels within each pluggable database and within the CDB. And if the administrator chooses to use the non-CDB architecture, everything is backwards compatible, too.
The bottom line: it's a good idea to at least consider using a CDB.
-Christopher Andrews, Senior Principal Instructor, Oracle University
Oracle University is THE trusted provider of quality, expert Oracle training & certification.
All training is delivered by our Elite global team of Oracle experts and made available in multiple learning formats for anytime, anywhere training. Delivery methods include:
- Traditional classroom,
- Live Virtual Class,
- Oracle Learning Streams,
- Oracle Learning Cloud and
- Training On Demand.
For buying confidence all our training is backed by the unique 100% student satisfaction guarantee.
Subscribe to the Latest Oracle University Blog Posts by Email
Oracle University Website
Subscribe to Oracle Training Newsletters
Oracle Certification Blog
- Chasing Cloud Dreams & Learning Along the Way
- Oracle Training: New Courses for October - Just Released
- Transitioning to Oracle Sales Cloud - A Recipe for Minimizing the Impact to Revenue
- Transition to the Cloud with Oracle Database 12c
- Oracle ERP Cloud - A Learning Solution for Your Entire Team
- Oracle Training: New Courses for September - Just Released
- Oracle Big Data Fundamentals – An In-Depth Course Review
- Oracle Database & Java Cloud Services Interactive Workshops – a Creative Learning Approach for moving to the Public Cloud
- 5 Tips: How to Plan Training for Your ERP Implementation
- Oracle Private Cloud Appliance Training is Now Available for Customers wanting to Start Learning about this New Engineered System