What Does it Take to be a Great Data Scientist?
By Kjones-Oracle on Dec 17, 2013
Welcome to the dawn of the Big Data age. Your organization may still be years away from implementing a big data strategy, but the groundwork is being laid now and big data skills are highly sought after. Organizations worldwide are looking for data experts who will help lead their organizations into the future.
According to a study by McKinsey Global Institute, by 2018, there will be a shortage of 1.7 million workers with big data skills in the U.S. alone—140,000 to 190,000 workers with deep technical and analytical expertise and 1.5 million managers and analysts with the skills to work with big data outputs.
Which core skills should Data Scientists have?
- Varied technical skills and experience with technologies like Hadoop, NoSQL, Java, C++, Python, ECL, SQL, Hbase, Hive, and Pig… to name a few
- Data Modeling, Warehouse and Unstructured Data Skills
- Business Skills and understanding of the Domain expertise
- Experience with Visualization Tools
- Communication and story telling skills – this is at the heart of what makes a true data scientist. Read this data scientist core skills article for more about how to tell a story with your data.
Data Science Needs Traditional Data Management Skills and Big Data Analytics Skills
Universities are expanding curriculums to train the next generation of data scientists.
But as Mary Shacklett's article illustrates, ideal data scientists needs a combination of traditional data management skills and new big data analytics skills.
Even your organization’s big data revolution seems further out. IT developers and analysts everywhere should be building expertise now so you're on the front lines of your data revolution.
Build Big Data Skills with Oracle University Training Courses
As a leader in the world of data, Oracle is uniquely positioned to educate IT professionals about core big data technologies. Top Oracle University training courses to help you become a better data scientist include:
- Oracle Big Data Overview
- Oracle Big Data Essentials
- Java SE 7 Programming
- Developing Applications with Java EE 6 on WebLogic Server 12c
- Introduction to Oracle NoSQL Database
- Oracle Database 11g: Data Warehousing Fundamentals
-Kate Jones, Senior Marketing Manager, Oracle University