The modern world is about using services on the fly, reusing and focusing on the tasks at hand.
For example, If you're starting your own business with a great idea, your focus should be on developing the idea - not on the surrounding operational challenges.
Allow the experts to provide you the support services to help you develop the concept.
Here are the steps you would take:
First, you would look for infrastructure on lease and pay for the use, interiors and infrastructure based on your needs. You would then decide how the business runs and renew the investment based on returns. The renewal is elastic and can be increased or decreased
Second, you would reuse a common set of rules, platform and policies which are defined benchmarks. This includes parking policies and security policies, instead of reinventing the wheel to build one.
Third, you would focus on your idea and reusing available vendor services to grow your idea.
Within the software world, we're seeing a similar paradigm shift.
As a developer/organization, your objective is to focus on developing the business idea, task or solution than focusing on operational challenges.
There are infrastructure and platform experts who will bring these services, continuously updating and innovating to build a better solution.
a) The infrastructure on the storage, compute, database and servers can be procured
through the cloud.
This is broadly called as IAAS (Infrastructure as a Service). This is elastic usage based on the demand and is scalable for high demands.
b) The development tools, integration tools and UI tools can also be automated via the cloud.
Java Cloud Service and Integration Cloud services would empower you with the platform required for developing the code.
This is broadly called as Platform as a Service.
Image courtesy of blog.crmit.com
c) The software which caters to the solution (HCM, Finance, GRC, EPM, and more) is key for customers and probably runs on the IAAS and PAAS.
This is called Software as Service.
As the developer or consultant, your key focus area is on the SAAS, which are solutions you're developing for the customer to leverage the platform components.
Traditionally, the development requires you to set up the server and infrastructure and install the tools to maintain the versions and compatibility.
You then get started on the coding and manage the operational and development efficiency.
Within the new era of Cloud development, here are 10 trends:
1. The developer will focus on writing code, and the infrastructure and platform will be provided to him default. For example, there will be database as a service and Java as a service available, which is a managed service.
2. The entire code development lifecycle from IDE to versioning to debugging will all be managed via cloud tools.
3. DevOPS will be the preferred platform of delivery. Given that cloud modules have modular releases, agile types of delivery will be the development focal point.
4. Developers need to be multi-skilled and able to develop the application. They need to have a firm grasp of the device, analytics, domain and programming. Reskilling developers on new cloud platforms is now a mandate for the future.
5. The focus will be on enriching the SAAS application. There are millions of existing applications available in the world; the developer's key objective is to leverage the IAAS, PAAS tools and build a wrapper around the existing application base.
6. Device programming is the future and a huge demand will exist for IOT development. When there is data coming out from multiple devices, REST API development will take precedence for collating data.
7. Technologies like AI and deep learning will be the nucleus of development. There will be a huge skills shortage in this area by 2020 as it becomes the defacto standard of API for building modern applications.
8. Mobile development will reach the next era, with Augmented Reality and VR application dominating the future.
9. The advent of robotics is already catching up. As pointed solutions are key, there will be a huge demand for development, programming and extensibility.
10. Development will rise to the next level, with natural programming like voice control API and human augmented intelligence.
Image courtesy of unlockedit.net
Invest time in learning how to leverage IAAS and PAAS for developing customer solutions.
Once a developer masters the database and language, he or she can branch out and specialize in key areas like IOT, Analytics and AI.
Specializing empowers developers with the ability to develop enriching solutions for customers.
There are multiple components in PAAS/IAAS which are provided as a service and can be used to develop customer solutions:
Get started learning the cloud solution on SAAS, IAAS and PAAS for professionals.
See how Oracle Student Learning Subscriptions leverage the PAAS/IAAS platform and explore the Java, Database and Node.Js
programming for students.